February 2018 Featured RPG
May 2018 Featured RPG

PLOT & RULES FAQ | MEMBER GROUPS | GETTING STARTED | REGISTRATION
Have you read the Newspaper?
You can read it Here

Holidays are important in Lochland Grove. It is no wonder the community is buzzing over Little Halloween; a celebration of the town's bravery in the face of serial killer Robert Lewis.

Now that Lewis's copy cat is behind bars, does Little Halloween hold new meaning? What of the approaching Hurricane Caroline?

Welcome to Lochland Grove
Open since January 2, 2014

We are a Real Life Roleplay site focused on enriching character driven stories through events, newspaper headlines, and even death. Set in modern day Connecticut, our background plot follows the on-goings of a small town with a murderous past. Whether your character explores it is up to you. Life is about choice - this is your story. Our goal is to provide a place where you will feel comfortable writing it. Come join the fun!

ASK JAYA
(Click Here!)

Jaya has looked over your questions and written some answers! Check out the May Announcements for all the details, and maybe learn something new.

Lochland Weather

Dark, cloudy, rainy.. There may be a hurricane over the New England Area. Stay Safe, Lochland Grove!

CLAIMS | ADOPTABLES | CREDITS | ADVERTISING | AFFILIATION

Site News

May 10th
Ask Jaya and
May Announcements!

May 5th
Look! A Newspaper!

May 1st
No Activity check!
Goodluck, Students on finals!

Chatbox

Staff

Admin

Kat

Head Mod

Mods

Add Reply
New Poll

Pain in the Ice, Tag: Quinn Kearns
Cora Birchwood
 Posted: Jan 2 2018, 02:55 PM
Newcomer
Thoth

As cliched as it sounded, if there was one thing that Cora loved about living in New York during the holidays, it was going to the Rink at Rockefeller Center. A scenic destination made famous by film (especially Rom-Coms), the ice skating rink had a charm and energy that was completely “New York”. People would stand in line for hours to get a chance to skate on that famous ice, to take selfies where renowned film scenes took place; it was iconic. But Cora never went there to relive some worn out dialogue, she went because she loved to skate.

To glide through the air, to feel the chill as it reddened her cheeks, the sound of ice scraping against metal causing gooseflesh ot tingle her skin, it was a rush and certainly something that Cora would take great pleasure in partaking of. All-in-all, the only thing that would make it even more enjoyable was her mastering the skill of skating -- an achievement that had been strangely denied to her, no matter how much time she put into it.

But she won’t let that get her down. She will pick herself up...no matter how many times she has fallen.

And she will fall alot.

She was thrilled to hear that Lochland Grove was opening a ice skating rink in Unity Park to commemorate the season. Though Christmas and New Years had passed, she still was in the festive spirit. So when she heard about this event, she knew that she had to be one of the first to go out there and enjoy it. She feared that she wouldn’t be able to get back into the swing of her holiday tradition so she was ecstatic to break out her ice skates and be on of the first ones on the rink when it was available (and she wasn’t working).

So that was how Cora found herself in Unity Park, dressed in warm pants, a hot pink jacket, and a matching beanie that couldn’t even dream of containing her wild mass of curly hair. She marched proudly through the area, her fuzzy white boots clipping and clopping along the path that led to the rink. Her cheeks were rosy and sore from smiling but she simply couldn’t help herself. Drawing closer to the makeshift rink, the young woman was a bundle of energy just ready to come bursting out of the seams. She was going to have fun and she was going to master skating! She knew it!

Once there, Cora immediately took a seat to replace her boots with her ice skates. It took some effort to squeeze her feet in and lace the shoes up but, once done, she knew she was well and secured. Now she was ready to face the insurmountable mountain that was ice skating.

Careful steps took to the rink where she then set one foot down on the ice, then again and she sighed in satisfaction. She was almost there. Holding onto the wall, Cora carefully pushed herself off and immediately became a mass of giggles and screams as her arms flailed, trying to propel her forward. However, she didn’t give herself enough momentum at initial shove off so all that was left was a young woman, gliding at a snail’s pace across the ice, but it was still the most thrilling she had every felt. She pumped her arms in excitement at her success but it was cruel snatched her hands.

In turning to try and make a low-speed spin, Cora didn’t plant her skates right and immediately felt them slip out from under her. She yelp, her world a mass of intangible sights before she heard a thump and felt pain radiating throughout her shapely backside. Cora groaned and blinked before she noticed she was sitting directly on her butt, watching people skate around her. For a second she was confused and then she realized just how cold her ass was.

”Ow…” she grumbled as she tried to move. Getting back up would be a feat but, as she said to herself before, she would pick herself up again, no matter how many times she --

SLLIIPP!!!

”Oomph!” She fell again.

--------------------
PM
^
Quinn Kearns
 Posted: Jan 3 2018, 01:08 PM

Sheets of snowflakes and puffs of white in the air, even if it was a foreign season to him, winter in real life did still hold the magical aesthetic it had when depicted in media. Quinn just had to deal with the wet cold that California rarely received. Wearing layers still felt weird from time to time, the sheer amount of fabric hanging on him making it harder to move around.

Thus, he made sure that it was a nicer day when he chose to make a visit to the rink, newly opened. School was still out, work was still trying to ease him in, and the moving process had finished up. It was about time that he's gone out and connect with some spirits.

Skating wasn't like anything he's tried before, but it was thanks to his old gymnastics experience that helped him keep balances. Back in NY University, friends, partners, and acquaintances would take him to the school’s rink often. Certain events would also end him up on the ice and by the end of his first year, Quinn proudly categorized himself as an adequate beginner skater.

Smooth rounds around the rink, he was able to do that and that was exactly what he did at Unity Park. A head of blonde making circles on the ice with the tails of a long, red plaid scarf billowing afterwards, the boy's head was tilted upwards in enjoyment of the cold breeze and adrenaline of speed, until a noise had pierced its way through his meditation.

Emerald gazers searched for where the sound had come from, spotting a brightly dressed individual held captive on the ground as the ice did not allow her to rise up. A second attempt was made but ended up futile. Quinn pushed himself forward towards the individual, making his arrival as quick as possible.

Which wasn't too quick for although he knows how to start, stopping was an issue he still had yet to solve. Step one, he let himself crash into the bordering wall. Step two, he slowly slid himself forward to the fallen gal.

Bent in a small bow and a gloved hand stretched out, the halfie smiled down at the stranger.

“Need a hand?”
^
Cora Birchwood
 Posted: Jan 3 2018, 05:59 PM
Newcomer
Thoth

Okay so Cora wasn’t going to let this get her down! Yes, she was clearly on the ground already, but that was certainly not what she meant. She wasn’t going to spend the rest of her days on this cold, cold rink! She would rise up! She would stand! Then again, she wanted to take a break from trying to stand because she had already fallen flat on her ass twice. She didn’t need it to happen again so closely in succession so she would sit and wait, fighting off the icy chill she felt spreading across of postier. This was fun! Deep down, she knew that this was fun and it would be even more so when she actually succeeded to skate for more than thirty seconds at a time.

But it would seem that her flopping, no matter how eloquent and totally planned it was, had managed to draw some attention. Some people laughed, other’s glanced at her curiously before continuing on, but Cora didn’t pay them any mind. She would happily wait until she felt her butt was numb enough that the inevitable third fall wouldn’t actually break her tailbone.

While waiting, she felt the presence of someone skating closer and lifted her gaze. There she saw someone who was intentionally coming to help her. He drew near, came to a stop by colliding with the rink wall, before he then turned and skated back towards her. Cora was all smiles, of course, bemused by his excellent stopping skills, and looked up as he drew near.

When he was close, Cora had to take a minute to appreciate the sight. He was so pretty! Okay, she wouldn’t say that outloud, but she was oddly appreciative of the man’s eyes. A beautiful shade of emerald, she almost wanted to take them to a jeweler to see how much they were worth. Still with a grin she glanced between him and the offered hand before she just sighed and descended into giggles.

He offered his hand and she just shook her head defeatedly.

”Honestly I’d prefer a new butt at this point,” she said. She slipped her hand into his and struggled to make her way back to her feet. There were a few close calls, threatening to cause her to fall again, but she kept upright and finished her thought. ”I’m pretty sure mine is all black and blue now.” She scoffed and beamed brightly to the young man. ”Thank you! That was very nice of you to help.”

--------------------
PM
^
Quinn Kearns
 Posted: Jan 4 2018, 08:49 PM

A chipper soul that he was already attracted to, spiritual and happy just like himself. One of the world’s gems that glistened whenever darkness hovered over. He was surprised as her determination and positivity, catching a leak of giggles after two, he assumed painful, falls.

Would he have kept going at that point? Quinn thought back to when he first tried skating, having fallen quite a number of times that were accompanied with a few frustrated fits and five minute breaks. Picking yourself after falling down wasn't easy, especially if it happens more than once.

The other's hand anchoring onto his offered one, Quinn adjusted his own stance so that his balance wouldn't also be threatened. After a bit of wobbling and overcoming their enemy of gravity, the two were now upright and standing like regular humans.

“I'm sure a few falls won't do that much damage! I also had a rough time when I first started skating, but the soreness shouldn't last until the next day. Even if you did get a few bruises though, ice or a cold press should help! Ironically…

“And I'm glad that I could be of help! I'm Quinn~”

He pulled his hand back out from his pocket again and offered it for a second time.

“If there's anything else that you need, just let me know! I might not be able to help with everything though, since I'm pretty new around here, but I'll do my best to assist you!”
^
Cora Birchwood
 Posted: Jan 5 2018, 01:30 AM
Newcomer
Thoth

He really was a sweetheart for helping her like he did. Taking his hand firmly and being careful to not topple him over too, Cora was helped to her feet as she squeaked and giggled, trying to maintain her footing. Her butt was a bit sore from land so hard that first time, but she knew she would be fine. She had fallen before and never with anything worse than slight bruise or two. It was a good thing that work mainly consisted of her standing and baking all day, and not lounging in a chair. Then she would be in real trouble.

Once she was sure her footing was secured, she chuckled at the young man’s response to her need for a new posterior. Yes, she knew how to treat it, but she was still thankful for him to take a moment and assure her that everything was indeed fine.

”I’ll make sure to keep that in mind,” she added with a chuckle. ”Good thing I keep plenty of cold presses at home.”

Working in the bakery game, you get burned a lot. Always good to keep some cold presses in the fridge.

Standing upright, she immediately thanked the young man for his assistance and was given his name in return. Quinn. That was a nice name and not one that she heard too often. Shaking his hand, she grinned brightly as she returned the favor.

”Great to meet you, Quinn! I’m Cora.” She loved meeting new people! Especially those that were helpful. ”And thank you for the offer. Trust me, I certainly can use help wherever I can get it.” She sighed, brushing down her jacket, which caused her to wobble but after a quick flail she managed to keep herself upright again. ”Sorry. I’m okay. AS I was saying...I’m still pretty new to this too but you definitely seem to have the upper hand. I’d enjoy any tips you have, especially when it comes to stay upright.”

--------------------
PM
^
Quinn Kearns
 Posted: Jan 5 2018, 10:48 PM

“They do come in really handy more than people would think.”

A warm smile was given when his hand was embraced, friendships almost for sure as their personalities were nothing but friendly and fitting at the moment.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Cora! Well, then I’m here for anything that you need!”

And it was almost instantly when he thought that he aid was required again. Hands went flying around him for a moment, and Quinn threw out his own out of reflex in hopes that he wouldn’t also fall in attempting to catch the other. Thank goodness, however, the woman had caught herself and the two of them were spared the smirking ice that wanted them to slip oh so bad.

The flurry of worry dying down, reassured by the sight of each of them still standing and the continuation of their conversation, the blonde let his arms rest back at his side.

“I’m not too good of a teacher in comparison to my friends, but I guess balance might be a good place to start out? Keeping my knees bent helps me control my center of mass better, and if you do start to wobble a bit, I often lean forward since your hands might be able to catch you. Better than falling backwards onto your ass, right?”

Throughout his little spiel, Quinn tried demonstrating physically what he was trying to get at. Shifting himself beside Cora, he made a show of bending his knees just a bit with arms posed a bit to the front for balance. Leaning forward a bit more, he hoped that the light movements were enough to illustrate his falling strategies.
^
Cora Birchwood
 Posted: Jan 5 2018, 11:46 PM
Newcomer
Thoth

Cora knew she could do this, she just needed a bit of instruction. Thankfully the young man who skated over to help her seemed to be the exact person she was looking for. He wasn’t a professional and he seemed to be certain that others could do better, but he was willing to try. That was all that Cora really needed from anyone, to just have them try to help her. If she could just be shoved in the right direction, she was certain she would be able to figure things out for her own.

He was nice enough to state that cold presses would be good to have on hand; so it was a good thing that Cora always had thought. She nodded in agreement.

”Yeah I usually keep a couple of those ready in the fridge because of my work,” she said with a bright and energetic smile. ”I’ve burned myself more times than I can count.”

It was true. Baking was a dangerous game. Ovens were temperamental and, if she weren’t paying attention, she could easily burn herself on any number of objects -- and she had! Oh but she loved it and learned to live with the risks, hence her reason for keeping cold presses at the ready. Though she had been hoping to avoid it, she may have to sit on one when she got home tonight, but she doubted it was that bad.

Shaking Quinn’s hand, she immediately took him up on his offer. Though he may not be as knowledgeable as others, he certain was better than her because he had yet to fall down. Even more impressive was that he managed to stay upright even after she flailed about him. Sweetly he reached out in an attempt to be ready to rescue her, but thankfully it wasn’t needed.

He started to describe what she needed to do, keeping her knees bent and lean forward if she felt herself wobbling. She nodded, her bouncing hair sticking out from under the rim of her beanie waving along with her. Lowering her center of gravity a bit, she felt herself stabilize and offered Quinn a brilliant smile.

”Hey! That worked!” She pushed off a tiny bit. She began to wobble but she kept herself upright as he aimed to reach the wall of the rink. When she did, she immediately held onto it, giggling. ”Not so bad, huh?” She grinned and waved him over. ”Come on! We can talk over here. Better than me risking falling in the middle of the rink again.”

--------------------
PM
^
Quinn Kearns
 Posted: Jan 6 2018, 12:41 AM

It was a short comment, fleeting words that seemed to be casually spoken by the owner, but Quinn’s ears couldn’t help but latch onto them and pour his concern over it. What kind of work was is that Cora had that would burn her on not one but multiple accounts? It was something that he kept on the back of his mind, something that he would ask about in the future.

In the meantime, the woman was more than occupied with the new advice, immediately trying it out and finding fruit in her efforts. A natural smile was spread onto the boy’s lips, glad that he was able to help out another soul this day. If he could make more people happier in life… it was his primary life goal and motto. Viridian irises watched the pink form slowly make its way over to the wall.

“The details are kind of small, but they helped quite a bit when an old friend of mine pointed it out to me! I will say that you’re quick to catch on though. I’m sure you’ll be skating smoothly in no time!”

When beckoned forward, Quinn answered obediently, seeing no problems with the proposal. Conversing further would be much easier if the both of them weren’t threatened by the ice underneath their blades. Usually, the less falls, the more fun skating was. One’s day, in general, was better off without having to unexpectedly hit the ground.

As he slid over to his new found friend using the border as a guard, Quinn found it as his opportunity to ask what was still slightly bugging his mind.

“If you don’t mind me asking, what is it that you do for a job? You mentioned a lot of burns, and it had me worrying a bit…”
^
Cora Birchwood
 Posted: Jan 6 2018, 11:17 AM
Newcomer
Thoth

Cora was relieved to be back along the edge of the rink. Though she wanted to be out in the midst of it, skating her heart out, she knew that she had to take it easy. She was still learning. After having freshly fallen, twice within the span of seconds, it was probably better that she take her time. Besides, Quinn was nice enough to give her a few pointers, pointers which seemed to work out for the most part. They were baby steps, but baby steps were still steps in her book. So she held onto the wall, using it to guide her as he tried to get used to her footing and waved her new friend over.

Once Quinn was by her side again, she gave him a grateful smile and thanked him for his tips. It seemed that an old friend had given him those tips. Then she would have to give a thumbs up to his friend.

”Thank you! My mother used to always marvel at my ability to learn things,” she said with a grin. ”And trust me, I know that eventually I will master this. It’s just like learning anything new -- practice makes perfect.”

To accentuate her point, she pushed herself along the length of the wall, free-skating for a second before she stopped, giggled, and made her way back. The cold felt nice on her face as she returned to Quinn. She liked him. It seemed that she was definitely making herself a new friend today and she certainly couldn’t have been happier about that. After all, you can never have too many friends.

However, once she reached his side, she could see that was question was perplexing his mind. She tilted her head, watching him with her earthy, soft eyes, a tiny smile illuminated her lips. If he had something to say, she wished he would just say it. As luck would have it, she wouldn’t have to wait long to hear what was one his mind.

Burns? She blinked. Suddenly it occurred to her why that must have sounded so strange. Without context it sounded like she worked in a smelting plant or something equally dangerous. She laughed heartily, smiling a broad smile as she shook her head.

”Sorry! Sometimes I say things without other info,” She chuckled, shaking her head. ”I’m a baker. I work at the Plum Street bakery. Sometimes I just get the occasional burn or two thanks to my temperamental oven. All in the line of duty,” she promised.

--------------------
PM
^
Quinn Kearns
 Posted: Jan 8 2018, 12:23 AM

It was frustrating at time, possibly trying something out over and over again, but practice did often lead to perfection. He loved the attitude that the lady had, persisting with a subject until results were seen. Quinn wasn't too bad himself in regards to determination, but he did find himself flitting from hobby to hobby, gaining himself a wide variety of skills but of novice it beginner level. To him, there was just too many activities in the world to explore. Could you blame him?

He smiled at the sight of Cora still working on her skating, knowing the excitement and bliss after learning something new and directly applying it. It was always more satisfying to him to see immediate results in comparison to longer term developments.

The laugh had broken through his stiffness, muscles relaxing for the chuckle was enough of a prelude to reassure Quinn that his friend was in no danger.

A baking job. It had its dangers with knives and ovens, but it was much more tame than the other possibilities. Industries with soldering or smithing or anything else, baking seemed a lot more tame in comparison, and also a lot more reasonable considering the still growing size of Lochland. With proper safety precautions, it was easy to avoid burns on an oven.

Quinn let out a sigh of relief and let himself rest against the wall a bit, letting go of the tension that he didn't know was holding. A lot more relaxed, he propped an elbow for support and idly slid one of his feet around on the ice as he responded.

“A bake is a lot more understandable in comparison to the crazy ideas that started to swim in my head. You work at the bakery though? I have to say, I have quite the sweet tooth, and I'll have to visit you sometime! Mind if I ask what your hours are?”
^
Cora Birchwood
 Posted: Jan 8 2018, 01:22 PM
Newcomer
Thoth

Cora could only imagine what poor Quinn probably thought of her. Was she a blacksmith? Did she work in a metal processing plant? Did she torture people with red hot pokers for a living? All were viable imaginary options, but none of them were true. The look in his eyes when he inquired hinted that he was fearful of her answer, but there was calmness in them when the bemused young woman replied that such ideas were false. She wasn’t anything nearly as nefarious as all that -- she was just a baker.

It made much more sense that she was a baker who got the occasional burn. She was experienced but she was by no means a master in the field. If she were, she would own her own shop and have far less burn marks on her body. But she wasn’t put off by it. As a matter of fact, she wore them like badges of honor! Not that she was horribly mutilated by her passion, rather she had only a few, light colored scars on her forearms and even on on her thigh.

Don’t ask about that one. Heh.

Turning her focus back onto Quinn, she was relieved to see that he was relieved by her answer. He admitted that some crazier ideas floated around in his head.

”I figured,” she teased. ”The look in your eyes said it all.”

Her smile never faltered from there. Quinn stated that he possessed a sweet tooth and that he would have to visit her at the bakery some time. At the question of what hours she worked, she just gave him a playful smile.

”I certainly do,” she teased. ”You could be some crazed stalker.” She started drift backwards on her ice skates, still using the wall for support. ”Can’t tell my schedule to just anyone, can i? I have my safety to think abo--OMPH!”

So, in her teasing attempt, Cora had accidentally backed into someone who was coming up behind her. He was fine. He merely chuckled and skated off. Cora, on the other hand, flailed and had the catch herself on the side of the wall again. But at least she didn’t fully fall down. Oh yeah, she was the master of being chill.

--------------------
PM
^
Quinn Kearns
 Posted: Jan 11 2018, 03:43 AM

It was a small jest, and he knew it. But he also let it happen, giving the gal the opportunity to play and also preparing himself to go along with the skit.

His role: a stalker for the woman, but to keep his cover, he'd had to persuade her otherwise. To act stunned by the accusation and to deny the suspicions. He even prepared his disposition, planned out his attitude and gestures for when he made his response, but their little play was cut short.

Backing up a bit too far, Cora had bumped into the individual behind her. Immediately, Quinn’s mind was flipped upside down and was thinking through how to verbalize their apology. Before that, however, hours attention was caught once again at flailing arms. He stepped forwards, arms ready once more to help out, but the wall had been their reliable saving grace in the moment.

One little bit dealt with, now onto the next, but the moment that green eyes rose up to glance at the stranger they disturbed, the figure was already gone.

“A quick one to leave, wasn't he?”

Quinn couldn't recall a single word shared by the stranger, but the incident was minor enough to be dismissed. He let it go, and refocused himself on their conversation.

“You got your footing back alright? If you want, we could take a quick break at the bench so that we're not slipping and sliding all over the place!”
^
Cora Birchwood
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 03:17 PM
Newcomer
Thoth

She was going to get the hang of this. That little fumble was certainly now her fault. Or, rather, it probably was but she wasn’t willing to take that to heart. She at least managed to stay upright after being nudged by someone and it didn’t seem as if it were done maliciously, rather he just didn’t notice her. She got that she was short, but jeez, did she have to wear pulsating neon lights and a cowbell? Cora shrugged the thoughts off and, instead, remained holding onto the railing as she shared a laugh with her new friend, Quinn.

”Yeah, clearly a sign of a guilty man,” she said with narrowed eyes. She was merely joking of course. At least she didn’t fall all the way down this time. So, brushing herself off and keeping her hands on the rail, she waited until she was steadied. ”It’s all good. He’s was probably too wrapped up in his fun to notice me.”

She sighed. She really wanted to be out there, skating with abandon and with confidence that she wouldn’t be stumbling onto the ice anytime soon. As frustrating as it was, it would come with time; she just needed to exercise patience. Once she was upright and had her semi-solid footing again, she grinned as she watched Quinn skate closer.

He suggested that they take their conversation to the bench -- something that she was more than willing partake. Firmly she nodded her head, sending her hair bouncing from beneath her beanie. Sitting most certainly sounded good right now.

”Yeah, I think that’s probably the most brilliant idea I’ve ever heard of,” she laughed. Meekly she skated towards the exit of the rink, glancing to Quinn. ”You must be a genius,” she added lightheartedly.

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll