February 2018 Featured RPG
May 2018 Featured RPG

PLOT & RULES FAQ | MEMBER GROUPS | GETTING STARTED | REGISTRATION
Lochland AM/FM Radio is on the air
Have you heard the latest? Click Here

The weather has gotten bad, really bad. Hurricane Caroline is sweeping over Lochland Grove. Stay indoors and away from windows.

Missed the last broadcast?
Lochland AM Radio 1
Lochland AM Radio 2
106.3 The Bounce

Welcome to Lochland Grove
Open since January 2, 2014

We are a Real Life Roleplay site focused on enriching character driven stories through events, newspaper headlines, and even death. Set in modern day Connecticut, our background plot follows the on-goings of a small town with a murderous past. Whether your character explores it is up to you. Life is about choice - this is your story. Our goal is to provide a place where you will feel comfortable writing it. Come join the fun!

Have you read the Newspaper?
You can read it Here

An emergency paper has been put out! Lochland Grove is out of power, but some residents are already turning their attention to those worse off.

Bachelor Auction Sign-Ups!
Check it out Here?

The annual Charity Ball is approaching and with it comes the Bachelor Auction!

CLAIMS | ADOPTABLES | CREDITS | ADVERTISING | AFFILIATION

Site News

June 16th
The Times has put out an
Emergency Paper

June 15th
Oh oh, This can't be good

June 14th
Have you turned your FM Radio to
106.3 The Bounce?

Chatbox

Staff

Admin

Kat

Head Mod

Mods

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Normal for a Change, Tagged: Katerina Dimov
Katerina Dimov
 Posted: May 7 2018, 01:52 PM
Newcomer
Kat

The dress shoes she’d chosen were hardly cooperative. Katerina had to admit that she had chosen the first pair that didn’t offender her. At the time it had been to appease Sheena. The other woman wanted her to have a page in a book she never thought she’d read. The fact she was now wearing the dress, shoes, stockings.. make up... it showed that Shi was right. Well, maybe not right but had given her something to work with. She could appreciate that.

still... next time she’d rather wear a suit.

It was sort of a joke, because she had meant HIS suit. Darrell’s reply had drained the soft warmth she had felt almost immediately. “Yeeah, nothin’ against women in suits, per se but I just think it looks a little … I dunno call me old fashioned but women should wear dresses.” Katerina’s form stiffened slightly, immediately sensing something had gone wrong. Very wrong. “S’just the first thing that comes t’ mind is Ellen DeGeneres, who’s a dyke, an’ Hilary Clinton who’s some kinda fuckin’ soulless, reptilian monster.” She didn’t know who those women were, but that didn’t matter. Kat wasn’t the skirt wearing type. While she knew he didn’t mean it directed at her, he had just stated for the record that he wasn’t fond of her old worn jeans or any of her clothes. Anything but the white dress she’d bothered to put on. Just, not sexy t’ me, at all. But, yeah, I think you could pull it off, maybe.” Maybe.

The woman went quiet, to read the other emotions now swirling around the dangerous ones. She had enough trouble reading herself, but now she was angry. It was easier to act on instinct, but usually it ended badly for them both when she did... still. ”Well, it’s a good thing that i’d be wearing it for myself then, wouldn’t it.” She commented, glancing out the window. ”This might be a good time to re-think what you just said or turn the truck around. I’m not comfortable in this dress, I hate the shoes, and I’m wearing face paint.” The idea of sitting through food dressed up in some nice restaurant where she wouldn’t belong suddenly irked her. I’ve worn jeans almost every single day you’ve known me, and now you have a problem? I'm not some 1940's housewife. “ So much for their nice evening. Open mouth, insert dress shoe. She'd managed to at least keep her voice calm. Not monotone as it tended to do when she disconnected from the people around her. that was, in itself, a show of how much she did care.

--------------------
PM
^
Darrell McGuiness
 Posted: May 7 2018, 04:41 PM
Newcomer
Asa

His stomach gave a slight roll, upset at its emptiness and he suppressed a burp in the midst of trying to reply to her question,
“Ugh, yeah I reckon.” what she said next thoroughly baffled him. Think about what he just said or turn the truck around because she was uncomfortable? He sat there in stunned silence, unsure of what to say or why she was so angry about him not liking suits on women. Was it the comment about Hillary? He didn’t think she was political at all, at least he’d never heard her say anything about it and she’d had nothing to say about his cracks on hipsters and California in the past. Where was this coming from? Maybe it was just that time of the month, something he didn’t keep up with in the slightest, “I’ll uh, I’ll think about it, I guess?” it was better than turning the truck around, “Sorry you’re uncomfortable.” why had she bought a dress and shoes she was uncomfortable in? Maybe that was the reason for the attitude, he had no idea what had sparked this reaction.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa hold up a minute … when did I say anything about jeans?” there was a hint of laughter in his voice, not taking this seriously at all, she wasn’t being serious was she? “The conversation was about chicks in suits, not pants.” he defended, not sure where this conversation was heading as the truck continued down the interstate and exited to a smaller, two lane highway to continue on its way to the restaurant. Though now she was talking about turning around and going back home, “It’s just my opinion, ya never had a issue with my opinion before, what’s the deal? We can’t be honest with each other anymore?” he wasn’t angry about it, just … confused. He thought they were just joking, she had after all mentioned wearing a suit as a joke, his reply had been mostly in jest, nothing serious meant by it. Maybe she liked Ellen DeGeneres hell he didn’t know, he knew his mother loved her and watched her on tv all the fucking time. Maybe something else was going on … but he didn’t know if he should ask.

--------------------
PM
^
Katerina Dimov
 Posted: May 10 2018, 10:29 PM
Newcomer
Kat

She was going to an unfamiliar place wearing clothes that made her feel uncomfortable because she’d mindlessly decided to let Darrell take her out. Katerina’s preference for jeans was hardly a secret. She would have preferred a suit something less precarious with comfortable shoes. Her boyfriend’s distaste for it caught her completely offgaurd, as if he really hated the idea of a woman wearing pants. His apology only cooled the irritation slightly. “Whoa, whoa, whoa hold up a minute … when did I say anything about jeans?” Her eyes turned mildly cold. “The conversation was about chicks in suits, not pants. It’s just my opinion, ya never had a issue with my opinion before, what’s the deal? We can’t be honest with each other anymore? Her head tilted, regarding him momentarily. ”Suits come with pants.” She commented, reigning in her ire. ”Jeans ARE pants.” Maybe she would have been less upset if it wasn’t the fact that she’d been groomed before. It started on what felt like equal footing and the next thing she knew she was questioning everything about herself.

Sooner or later she’d lose him anyway. Sheena would soon have a place to live, and that would be it. She’d head off to the south to look for a monster. Was she going to be so quick to do that now when she knew she didn’t want to go?

Well.. partially admitted she didn’t want to go...

The woman looked towards the window and fixated her thoughts in another direction before she could snap at him again. He may have been handsome, but his comment rubbed her wrong. It had been almost a knee-jerk response to snap back and defend her tastes. Internal thoughts were so much easier than external ones. If she wasn’t careful she’d rip herself apart.

”How much longer until we get there?”

It was all she could think of. he’d said 20 .. 25 minutes a moment ago? Stupid question.

”How’s your mom?”

Better.

Is the house still filled with cats?” She refused to take her eyes off the window. The woman looking back looked serious, healthier than she used to be, but it was hard to make eye contact.

Maybe what she needed more than a date was therapy. If she hadn’t planned on killing a man she might think about it, but for now she’d settle with reminding herself that she needed to think before she spoke. ”Have you ever killed anyone out of revenge?”

--------------------
PM
^
Darrell McGuiness
 Posted: May 13 2018, 10:31 PM
Newcomer
Asa

Darrell couldn’t recall ever feeling like he just straight up didn’t want to look at her, they had gotten into a spat on his birthday and now this? At least then she had recognized she had bitten his head off for the wrong reasons, but she was defending this one,
“Ah, so not likin’ suits means also not likin’ jeans now, because suits have pants, which ain’t even jeans, by the way … makes perfect sense.” Darrell wasn’t one to use sarcasm often, his father had been bitterly sarcastic to the point there had been times when he didn’t know when the man was being serious so it was something he tried to avoid, but there were situations that called for it. Such as these when he wanted to call her on her bullshit but liked her too much to say it was the dumbest thing he had ever heard while also ignoring the comment about her being a housewife, “S’the stupidest argument I’ve ever had.” he turned the radio up just enough to try and dissuade the both of them from talking for the rest of the ride.

Just as she asked again how much further it was he was beginning to get the feeling she wasn’t enjoying this at all, even before the snappy conversation about pants. Wasn’t the best feeling in the world, like she just couldn’t wait to go back home. Internal conflict arose and he had to bite his tongue, not wanting to guilt her for anything but goddamn, fuck him for trying to do something nice for her, shit. It wasn’t like he himself wasn’t the most comfortable in the world in this monkey suit either but he wasn’t going to bitch about it,
“S’posed t’ be eleven miles from this exit, right here.” the right side of the dark highway light up with the yellowish glow of his flashing turn signal, exiting the ramp and turning onto a darker road. His tone was flat and uninterested, barely above the volume of the radio.

“Nosy,” he answered her but then figured he ought to clarify before she thought he was calling her nosy, “asks me a lot about you, but I reckon she’s alright.” that surgery Randy had informed him of had been as routine as doctors promised it would be, she had recovered well and Dad hadn’t died of starvation during her down time, “Far as I know.” probably less than what had been before, since Mom was giving those kittens away last time they had been there. Darrell had been surprised Kat hadn’t wanted to take one. Snake was a bit of an animal killer and though he had never killed a cat, Darrell wouldn’t put it passed him so it may not have worked out for the best.

Her next question caught him completely off guard,
“Uh, no.” another flat answer holding no tone of surprise or confusion, “Not purely on revenge, I had other reasons usually, but sometimes revenge is kinda part of it.” was he really admitting to her that he killed people? She knew, but it wasn’t something they openly talked about. The houses by the road got closer and closer together as the vehicle rolled on, lights of the town glowing in the distance as houses began to meld into little mom and pop shops and finally the speed limit decreased to the usual thirty-five of a more heavily populated area and red and blue signs lined the curb strips, it was an election year, “Do I even wanna know the origins of that question?”

--------------------
PM
^
Katerina Dimov
 Posted: May 14 2018, 12:11 AM
Newcomer
Kat

The soft light outside highlighted her delicate features in a pleasant glow that hardly fit the mismatched patches of thought in her mind. Katerina’s eyes were slightly unfocused as they stared out the window. She probably would have kept looking out at shoddy end of winter husks of trees and grass, but her breath soon fogged the glass. Alexander hung in her mind. He was always there just as the tiny little tears in her sanity were always there. Just when she ....

Stop. There she went again.

Katerina turned her focus to other things. Darrell’s mother. Cats. It did nothing to sway her from still feeling the mild bite of another abrasive slip. This one was internal. Would she really leave Darrell? Was this really revenge or would she just be handing herself over to the devil? Without thinking she’d asked something she probably shouldn’t have. IT just.. slipped out: did he ever kill someone for revenge? “Uh, no.” Kat wiped the glass, staring out the window silently. “Not purely on revenge, I had other reasons usually, but sometimes revenge is kinda part of it.” What was it like to be a killer? How did he do it? How did Alex? She’d killed one man before he could kill someone else.. she didn’t want to think about it any further.. “Do I even wanna know the origins of that question?”

”No.” The voice was soft, wrapped up too far into the turmoil in her head. ”I think I’m just.. “ Her shoulders lifted and fell gently against the strap of her belt. ”Thinking about the man I killed.” Men.. men she killed. He killed. She could stop him. Maybe. Katerina began fiddling with the ribbons on her right wrist, barely noticing she was doing it; a habit of years of sweat bands. ”If you’d died....” It was a sentence she couldn’t finish. ”Do you ever think you 'didn’t deserve to be happy'?” Her head tilted, long hair sweeping over the back of her hand as leaned forward a little.

--------------------
PM
^
Darrell McGuiness
 Posted: May 14 2018, 03:40 AM
Newcomer
Asa

He didn’t know what the hell was going on with her, first the snappy attitude then the weird question, he just had to wonder and she confirmed that he didn't want to know. That didn’t settle his nerves whatsoever. He turned down the radio, straining to hear her and even glancing over a few times as she stared contemplatively out the window of the moving truck. She seemed to have trouble formulating what it was she needed to say, Darrell was just hoping they could get through this evening without it completely going to shit, was that selfish of him if she was going through something? Well, if she wasn’t going to open up and talk to him about it, how was he supposed to know?
“Don’t,” great advice Darrell, “he don’t deserve it, he was an asshole, a coward, tryin’ t’ kill us in our sleep.” he hadn’t realized he was still so torn up about that, the anger kind of caught him off guard but just forgetting about blowing someone’s head off certainly couldn’t come as easily to everyone else as it did to him.

“What, like … predestined t’ just be miserable your whole life?” he asked for clarification, “Happiness is a myth, nobody’s happy, nobody has a fully fulfilled life, everybody’s miserable about somethin’ or other at any given moment. Happiness is unrealistic … as for deservin’ it, nobody deserves anything, you earn that shit, it ain’t just handed over to ya.” he shrugged, “I’ve fucked my life up so bad that, no I don’t think I’ll ever be truly happy, but that was my own damn fault, I was fucked from the start I reckon, I just had a real bad rebellious streak I never grew out of for whatever reason.” the street lamps flashed overhead as the truck rumbled through town on its oversized mud tires, “I’ve been happy before, I was … deliriously happy a few times in my life, but nothin’ lasts, there’s ups an’ downs t’ everything … I mean hell, I tried t’ kill myself one time.” he trailed off, growing a bit quiet at that revelation, he never told anyone that, “Look, if you … if you’re goin’ through somethin’ right now,” because she was acting a bit strangely, “you can talk t’ me … don’t ever feel like you can’t talk t’ me, I might not be able t’ help but … it’ll make you feel better t’ just tell somebody somethin’ instead of just lettin’ it tear ya up inside, ya know?” the restaurant had its own driveway and he sat a moment with his blinker on as traffic filed past, waiting for a gap, the building beyond was large and extravagant with its lights all aglow. He still didn’t know if this evening was going to go as planned.

--------------------
PM
^
Katerina Dimov
 Posted: May 14 2018, 10:45 PM
Newcomer
Kat

She noticed the sound of the radio soften. Katerina knew he was paying attention, but at this point it was hardly something to shrug off. The question she’d asked was a real one. It was something she’d dealt with for years. She’d stripped her life down to the barest degree, given up all but the company she kept and a collection of glass figurines, and worked. Did she feel she deserved happiness? No.

What did he feel?

“What, like … predestined t’ just be miserable your whole life?”

”Something like that.” The truth was a little more severe, but she let it go.

“Happiness is a myth, nobody’s happy, nobody has a fully fulfilled life, everybody’s miserable about somethin’ or other at any given moment. Happiness is unrealistic … as for deservin’ it, nobody deserves anything, you earn that shit, it ain’t just handed over to ya.”

The town around them was welcoming. It looked... quaint.. She could remember looking around at other small towns and trying to decide if she could hide there. Times had changed.

“I’ve fucked my life up so bad that, no I don’t think I’ll ever be truly happy, but that was my own damn fault, I was fucked from the start I reckon, I just had a real bad rebellious streak I never grew out of for whatever reason.” Darrell, rebellious from the beginning. In a better mood she might have teased him about birth or being a toddler, but she kept quiet. She didn’t look at anything in particular until he brought up something she didn’t expect. “I’ve been happy before, I was … deliriously happy a few times in my life, but nothin’ lasts, there’s ups an’ downs t’ everything … I mean hell, I tried t’ kill myself one time.” Kat glanced at him sharply, noticing the way he trailed off. she quickly shifted her form to listen, feeling as if somEthing was important. “Look, if you … if you’re goin’ through somethin’ right now,” Well.. that was a bad idea, she glanced down at her hands and quickly began rearranging the soft ribbons she’d pulled apart.

The car stopped, the sound of the turn signal clicked for what felt like eons.

“you can talk t’ me … don’t ever feel like you can’t talk t’ me, I might not be able t’ help but … it’ll make you feel better t’ just tell somebody somethin’ instead of just lettin’ it tear ya up inside, ya know?”

”I... know.”

It would end everything.

Reaching across the seat, Katerina gently laid her hand on his for a brief moment. ”Let’s just.. enjoy ourselves tonight.” Her eyes glanced past him to the building, anticipating an awkward reception in a place she wouldn’t be comfortable unless she was serving the food or cleaning the floors. ”Hopefully.. not burn the house down?” hopefully. She doubted he was any better at this than she was. ”Maybe enjoy the food?” Retrieving her hand, she fiddled with the loose ribbons again then tucked them tight against her wrist. ”Hopefully they don’t have too many fancy forks and spoons.” What kind of food were they eating? She hadn’t the slightest idea. ”There.. isn’t a chance that we’ll run into someone you know, right?” Meetings with people he knew were usually dangerous in themselves.

What kind of life did they really live? He'd be avoiding people he knew and she'd try not to snap at anyone.

--------------------
PM
^
Darrell McGuiness
 Posted: May 21 2018, 01:25 AM
Newcomer
Asa

Well, as long as she knew, he was there for her if she needed someone to talk to. As he had said, he might not be able to help depending on what it was, but he could listen, he was good at that, something women of his past had actually liked about him when they couldn’t think of anything else to like about him. Even after they moved on from him and married they would call him on occasion to complain about their husband, hell even Mary Beth had done it a few times but not in the last five years or so. Sometimes Darrell forgot about his own problems because he felt like he was dealing with everyone else’s.

“Oh, I’m gonna enjoy myself, ‘cause I’m tellin’ the waiter it’s your birthday so they embarrass the shit outta you.” he smiled through the last half of the sentence, “It’s a five star restaurant, I’m sure the food is fuckin’ amazing.” he had no worries he wouldn’t enjoy the food, their little spat had done little to spoil his appetite, “What like a chilled salad fork or somethin?’ I kinda doubt it, I mean it’s a nice restaurant but it ain’t that nice, besides when a guy like me uses the wrong fork they just go ‘aww, how cute, he’s so uncultured’ instead of assumin’ I’m just a dumbshit.” the accent helped, but Darrell was pretty sure he knew which fork to use and he didn’t plan on eating much salad anyways, hated the stuff to be honest unless it was drenched in blue cheese dressing, “In here? No, hell no.” he didn’t think he knew anyone other than Mr. Crowder who might be in here, even then he would just pretend he didn’t know the guy.

Finally traffic cleared and they could turn into the driveway,
“Ugh, almost forgot it’s a election year,” he commented as his headlights lit up all the signs lining either side of the drive, “Chris Murphy, Dominic Rapini, Sean Connolly, Paul Doyle, I don’t know any’a these assholes,” he felt the need to comment, “I just vote for the people on the red signs, ‘cause all the people on the blue signs’re tryin’ t’ take my guns.” it was a stupid opinion and he wasn’t completely serious about it, but it definitely felt like they were trying to outlaw guns in this country because of dumbasses mowing down their classmates and shit, “What the hell is a pee-late class?” the valet was hard to miss, standing there looking ready to take their vehicle, “Pie-lat … oh, pilates, that yoga shit … we ain’t in Kansas anymore Dorothy.” he chuckled to himself, trying to keep conversation light and casual, pretend for once that things were normal, “Course I knew that the first time I walked into the whole foods an’ saw quinoa an’ somebody had t’ tell me it wasn’t called kwuh-no-uh.” he pulled up in front of the building and put the truck into park, watching the young man’s face from his window as he regarded the muddy truck with a judgemental gaze, “An’ don’t even get me started on them fuckin’ açaí berries.” he unlocked the passenger door and the man in the red vest opened it for Katerina,
“Good evening, ma’am, welcome to the Capital Grille.”

--------------------
PM
^
Katerina Dimov
 Posted: May 26 2018, 04:36 PM
Newcomer
Kat

There were a thousand ways this could go wrong, possibly even more. It was strange to be going to a place she didn’t belong. Add to it the fact her boyfriend didn’t either, and they had a mixture of chaos that could possibly burn the building to the ground. Katerina tried hard not to think too much about it. She craned her neck to look out the window as Darrell ranted on about fancy things rich people did. … we ain’t in Kansas anymore Dorothy.” Were those valets ahead?

As the truck stopped she removed her seatbelt and flinched as the door opened on its own. a man in uniform greeted her with a polite smile. “Good evening, ma’am, welcome to the Capital Grille.” The woman eyed him wearily then moved to dangle her feet above the ground. The offered hand was ignored, favoring a hard landing on the balls of her feet. ”I’m fine.” Her eyes were only on them for a moment before she stepped away from them and towards her boyfriend. ”They are going to want a tip.” Maybe she could work at a place like this. Parking cars sounded easy. ”Have you been here before?” She glanced back over a shoulder as they made their way inside. The truck moved away to who knew where, dirt and all.

The inside of the building was.. well lit. Yes, that described it well. Everything was fancy, the windows were large, and the lighting was mostly candles or chandeliers. Even before getting into the dining area Katerina could hear the click of crystal. ”I feel like I’m going to a wedding reception... or a school reunion.” Honestly she could have been more creative. at the moment Kat was too busy looking to where bathrooms and escape routes were; a matter of habit. A group of former diners passed them by, some of the suits looked terrible. The dresses were far better. She felt she'd dressed well for the place. ”You wear a suit better than several of the men here, baby.”

--------------------
PM
^
Darrell McGuiness
 Posted: May 28 2018, 01:33 PM
Newcomer
Asa

Of course she declined being helped from the truck, the guy was a stranger, valet or not and Kat was still the same old Kat, didn’t matter what she was wearing or where they were. It hadn’t surprised Darrell in the slightest as he slipped from the driver’s seat and fastened the button of his jacket, leaving the door ajar for the valet,
“Never been here. You give ‘em the tip when they bring the car back.” he suddenly laughed as they walked toward the building, “My daddy, handed me a twenty dollar bill when I was a young’un, maybe twelve, said ‘tip the valet’ we were at a nice place for Momma’s birthday. Well, he didn’ really explain that he only wanted t’ tip the boy five dollars, wanted fifteen back, see?” he pushed one hand into his pocket, holding the door open for her, “That kid’s eyes lit up an’ he said ‘yes’sir, right away!’ took off, brought the station wagon around, opened all the doors for us, smilin’ ear t’ ear, asked ‘want me t’ warsh it up a lil’ for ya too, Mr. McGuiness?’ my daddy looked so confused,” he laughed as they joined a few others in line, “said no thanks, Son, you have a good evenin’ an’ we left. Got about a mile down the road before he realized I gave ‘im the whole twenty.” he still remembered that hand coming over Frank’s shoulder, asking for his change to which Darrell had replied that he didn’t have any money, “He just shook his head, said ‘well, that explains everything’ he wasn’t even mad.” couldn’t be, really, he hadn’t exactly been clear in his instructions. Curtis had called him stupid, Randy had just laughed.

It was nice in the restaurant, like all the pictures he had seen on someone’s cell phone at the bar when he had asked around about nicer restaurants. The images had been small, but the reviews were all great. It was lit very well for the mood, a golden glow emanating from the dining area from numerous candles,
“Ain’t been t’ neither one in half a lifetime.” when was the last wedding he had been to? School functions were also something to be boycotted, he was the type of guy to show up with his girl and just wander the school grounds and avoid the actual party. Usually ended up getting lit up by security and ushered back inside, though. Lame.

“Why, thank ya, Sweetheart, ya look better than anybody here I think.” given that most of the women were older and needed to lose a few pounds it wasn’t difficult competition. The hostess wasn’t bad looking and seemed to have a sweet demeanor as she slid a finger down the page of reservations and found his name before seeing them to their table,
“Jonathan will be your server tonight and will be with you shortly, I hope you two have a wonderful dining experience and rest of the evening.” all the Georgian said was, thank you and pulled a seat out for Katerina before seating himself. The candle was poorly placed, directly between them so he moved it aside to see her face a little better,
“If ya don’t want Jonathan t’ put your napkin in your lap for you, ya might wanna do it yourself.” he suggested but left his own on the table. He knew her well enough that she may not be comfortable with that, “I ain’t much of a wine drinker but they have their own cellar here, it’s supposed t’ be really good.” he perused the menu, “You like red, white, blush?”

--------------------
PM
^
Katerina Dimov
 Posted: Jun 3 2018, 04:13 PM
Newcomer
Kat

Crystal chandeliers and candle light enveloped the dining room in a soft glow. Katerina pondered how much it cost to clean. Everything had a feeling of forced elegance, as if someone had ran down a checklist for the fanciest of dining rooms. Were they using real silver? How often were the candles replaced? Did the table clothes receive ironing before being put out or did they hide the wrinkles with decor? ”I wonder how much they pay the cleaning staff.” She mumbled, mostly to herself. ”How thorough are they..” The line of thought was was broken by a buckling shoe. Kat’s hand tightened on her boyfriend’s arm momentarily for support as she righted it then continued forward without checking if everything was fine. It was. She didn’t have to self-consciously look.

The tables were not all uniform. There were large ones and small, circular and square. They were set carefully around columns that stood from ceiling to floor, lavished in soft fabric woven with fake vines. She couldn’t get a good look at any of it, but it was of little matter; they’d reached their table.

She wasn’t certain if Darrell had chosen it, but it felt more comfortable than any other place in the restaurant. The table was small and round with a single candle. Katerina let her boyfriend help her take a seat then moved slightly so that she had a better view of the room. He moved the candle to see her better, far more comfortable there than she as. “If ya don’t want Jonathan t’ put your napkin in your lap for you, ya might wanna do it yourself. I ain’t much of a wine drinker but they have their own cellar here, it’s supposed t’ be really good.” Nodding, she looked up at the low hanging mini chandelier above them. ”Darrell McGuiness drinking wine, it must be my birthday.” She murmured, disheveling the meticulously folded napkin on her plate and setting it on her lap. “You like red, white, blush?” Her brow wrinkled slightly. ”Blush” Her wine knowledge was limited. ”My ex used to buy wine, and I rarely drank it. “ Blush was as good a try as any. ”What will you drink tonight, Baby?” The candle in front of her was dripping wax slowly. She reached out and coated her finger in it, blowing quickly to stop the burn.

Under the table she kicked off her shoes and ran her stocking toes along the surface of the floor. ”I remember going to a wedding and being bored. I was.. maybe 16.” The memory was rather dull, much of it was just a fuzzy grey. ”I remember the bride and groom had not arrived at the dining hall. We waited 2 hours to eat and everyone was awkwardly trying to find ways to entertain themselves. I tore strips out of the plastic disposable table cloth and held them above the candle on our table. They would shrink up, shriveling into hardly anything.” It still sounded more amusing than doing nothing. ”I had to stop after I set one on fire. I tried to blow it out and it landed on my hand, melting and burning there... the blisters lasted for what seemed like forever.” None of her family was good at sitting still when there was work to do. ”I should have just played with the wax.”

--------------------
PM
^
Darrell McGuiness
 Posted: Jun 4 2018, 12:53 PM
Newcomer
Asa

Her pondering about the staff of the restaurant had him lifting his brow,
“You gettin’ ideas?” he had to ask, she was welcome to work wherever she liked of course but from what Darrell knew of her, she preferred to work close to home, this was a forty-five minute drive, and she didn’t like driving. He felt her lose her balance, or something, he wasn’t sure, she was definitely unpracticed on those shoes of hers. Technically, Darrell wore heels all the time, they were only about an inch and a half but they were still heels.

She had a little dig at him after they were seated, and he shrugged just a little,
“Must be.” he was never a big wine drinker, but he figured he might as well, it would be nice to tell someone he had drank wine that was worth a damn once in his miserable life. He remembered right after she had left for her trip he had gotten absolutely smashed on whisky with Luca after that unexpected job outside town. It was the last time he had drank something other than beer. Since the incident last month he had withdrawn from alcohol but a little wine would be alright if he kept things reasonable. This whole scenario wasn’t them at all, but he wondered if it would be nice to do something different, something normal, or just have the evening to themselves to do something kind of boring. Her outburst in the car had made it seem he had possibly made the wrong choice and now, even if she appeared to be enjoying herself, he had to question if it was legitimate and she was really miserable in her discomfort. When his mother called he would tell her they had a great time, but in the back of his mind it had already gone to shit as far as he was concerned. They would just fake it until they made it at this point.

“I dunno, I like a nice white wine, never was too crazy about the red, I think there’s certain wines you’re supposed t’ drink at certain meals but what the fuck do I know?” he shrugged, “I think it’s called Pinot Grigio.” his brother knew more about wine than he did and he was sure his mother knew a ton about it, having become a bit of a connoisseur in her later years but knowing her she would say the five dollar wines at the supermarket were just as good as any Italian aged wine. This place seemed like the sort to sell the same bottle but for different prices because it came from the other side of the mountain or some shit and the soil was different and the river flowed the other way and the stars were aligned and a black cat was seen when the grapes were being harvested. That was a stretch but it seemed plausible to him.

He listened to her retell the story of a wedding she had been to when she was younger, more than half a lifetime ago and Darrell tried to remember all the weddings he had been to. Cousins, aunts and uncles, his grandmother had even gotten remarried. He wondered why it had taken the bride and groom two damn hours to show up in Katerina’s story, had they eloped?
“Wax play can be a lil’ painful.” he winked at her from across the table, “Last weddin’ I went to was my cousin’s, he got married on the back porch of my uncle’s house in Florida, ever’body wore camo … it was pretty informal.” very actually and the most redneck thing he had ever seen or been a part of, “The bride, Jordan, was about six months along with their daughter, Autumn … she’s prob’ly about t’ start drivin’ here soon.” that made him feel old.

Jonathan suddenly showed up and greeted them cordially, he looked like a well put together young man and went over their specials as he snapped Darrell’s napkin off the table and placed it in his lap for him,
“May I start you off with one of our specialty aged wines from our own cellar?” he looked to Katerina, ladies first after all. Had either of them even looked at the wine menu? Jonathan seemed to be in a hurry, “We’re kind of famous for our Pinot Nior, it comes all the way from France, our Merlot is good as well, aged and imported from France.” both dark and not something Darrell was interested in, “We also carry a large assortment of sparkling wines if that is more to your taste.”

--------------------
PM
^
Katerina Dimov
 Posted: Jun 11 2018, 02:38 AM
Newcomer
Kat

She extended her finger to caress the melted droplets of wax slowly oozing off their candle. It was hot and uncomfortable, but Katerina didn’t mind. She pursed her lips and blew gently until the liquid hardened into a shell. After that it only took a few rounds before it all became painless. As she played she recounted a wedding where she set the table cloth on fire. It was, in her mind, a somewhat amusing story. Darrell seemed interested. Under the gentle glow of soft light his eyes seemed particularly intelligent. There was thought behind them. She smiled slightly, wiggling the wax finger in front of her as she admitted it would have been better to simply play with the wax. It would have cost her less. “Wax play can be a lil’ painful.” It took her a moment, but the wink he gave her told her it was more than just a playful comment. Kat wasn’t shy, but there was plenty she had never done. It took everything in her not to say something to the effect of having never tried it.

After all... she currently had a finger full of wax and it was hardly a discussion for an intimate dinner.

“Last weddin’ I went to was my cousin’s, he got married on the back porch of my uncle’s house in Florida, ever’body wore camo … it was pretty informal.” She dipped her finger into the wax again, glancing at him with curiosity at the idea of anyone wearing camo to a wedding. “The bride, Jordan, was about six months along with their daughter, Autumn … she’s prob’ly about t’ start drivin’ here soon.” No matter how she looked at it, he seemed to be born and bred to be a ‘red neck’. ”We grew up in different worlds.” She murmured quietly. ”But I bet you made that camo look good.”

A voice popped up nearby, silencing the woman immediately. Kat glanced at the waiter then to Darrell without finding anything new to express. Wine was wine. She knew some was sweet and some wasn’t, but her experience was limited to boons farm. ”I’ll take something...” Well.. she opened her mouth then wasn’t sure what to say. ”Sparkling.” Right, hopefully that was good enough. ”Not bitter.” Her phone vibrated in her purse, catching her attention. She slid it out and noted it was from ‘Teal’. Teal was trying to call her? ”What will you be getting, Darrell?” She slipped the phone away immediately and hid the white wax mound on her fingertip. It was starting to take shape now. ”Are you going to try one of those Pino wines?” She couldnt’ remember exactly what it was called. Merlot was easier, but It was the pinot noir that struck her interest.. at least for someone else to drink. ”When we finish a glass are we allowed to try another? Are we being charged per glass?” Samples would have- yes samples...."do you have samples” She didn’t know how much he had, but she wanted something she liked without testing his pocket book.

After the waiter had walked away, she relaxed slightly. Her form leaned forward almost immediately to run her finger through the wax again. "Is your favorite Alcohol beer, baby?" She asked curiously. "IF you could get any drink in the world right now, what would it be?" Beer cans had been a constant battle at one point. Still, she couldn't imagine her boyfriend not enjoying something stronger and harder. Maybe it was his looks. He was so big, so strong.

--------------------
PM
^
Darrell McGuiness
 Posted: Jun 13 2018, 12:25 AM
Newcomer
Asa

“I dunno,” were they really all that different as far as their upbringing went? He didn’t really know that much about Katerina’s childhood but the fact she grew up on a farm told him they were both raised in the country and had likely both been brought up on wholesome, conservative values, “we’re both country bumpkins.” it was a term of endearment among his social circle, even if its meaning anywhere else in the country was enough for even Darrell of all people to take offense to, “I make anything look good.” he was feeling a little full of himself this evening, in spite of the deflation from earlier he was slowly recovering from his self doubt.

The waiter returned to take their orders and Darrell broke away from the conversation to give his attention to Kat and … Jonathan? Yes, in case she needed any help picking something. She chose a type of wine but not a particular kind and the waiter looked a little confused,
“Uh, maybe a moscato?” he thought that was what it was called, and Jonathan nodded, he didn’t think the young man would agree with the choice if it had not been a sparkling wine. He gave Kat sort of a goofy look and shrugged, clear indication he had no idea what the hell he ordered. They were so out of place here but they would make the most of it, or ditch the place for a burger joint, “I’ll have a Pinot Grigio.” simple enough, they all tasted about the same anyways.

Kat seemed, distracted, she never looked at her phone, who could possibly be calling her? Well, it was her birthday, so Darrell dismissed it. Or he tried to. She was suddenly full of questions and he had to wonder, was she nervous? About what? She would tell him, wouldn’t she? If she was unsettled by something. That had been a rather strange question she had asked him on the way over here. His mind raced with several more conundrums but he needed to answer her,
“I’ll drink anything you don’t like an’ you can order somethin’ else but … you’re drivin’ if that happens.” in short, yes they would be charged for each glass,
“Of course, we offer a free, one ounce sample of any wine you would like to try.” that surprised Darrell, how much revenue was lost just to people “sampling” the finest wines from the menu? Maybe he was thinking too poorly of people, surely not a lot of folks took advantage of that offer, right?

She kept playing with the candle wax after Jonathan departed, seeming a bit more relaxed now much to his relief,
“Beer’s cheap, gives me a good buzz without gettin’ me too shit faced, mellows me out, I like it but I wouldn’ say it’s my favorite.” he could nurse a six pack all day when it was hot and sunny out and he was working on the house or a car. It was kind of perfect if it was nice and cold, fresh from the fridge, “Ya know I ain’t had a good mojito in a long while, had ‘em all the time in Florida. Or a mixed drink back in Georgia that was made with our famous peaches but … it was kind of a chick drink, I wouldn’ be caught dead sippin’ one. A good local craft beer on draft is always nice but what I really like … is a nice oaky bourbon, preferably Woodford Reserve, on ice.” he could have said Southern Comfort but had gotten sick as a dog on it years ago and since then it really turned his stomach, "Was that somebody wishin' you a happy birthday, earlier?" he pointed to her bag where her phone had disappeared earlier.

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
Fast Reply