February 2018 Featured RPG
May 2018 Featured RPG

PLOT & RULES FAQ | MEMBER GROUPS | GETTING STARTED | REGISTRATION
Lochland AM/FM Radio is on the air
Have you heard the latest? Click Here

Traffic on Route 10? Wet Fireworks? Problems for the Charity Ball? Have you listened to Lochland AM Radio lately?

Missed the last broadcast?
Lochland AM Radio 1
Lochland AM Radio 2
106.3 The Bounce
Weather Warning

Welcome to Lochland Grove
Open since January 2, 2014

We are a Real Life Roleplay site focused on enriching character driven stories through events, newspaper headlines, and even death. Set in modern day Connecticut, our background plot follows the on-goings of a small town with a murderous past. Whether your character explores it is up to you. Life is about choice - this is your story. Our goal is to provide a place where you will feel comfortable writing it. Come join the fun!

Have you read the Newspaper?
You can read it Here

Preparations for the 5th Annual Charity Ball are almost finished. The newly renovated Red Vines Winery is excited to host, opening not only its doors on the 11th but its newly created winelist.

The 2018 Pride Parade is the 30th. Whether you are part of the LGBTQ or an Ally, wear your rainbow and come out to support the community.

CLAIMS | ADOPTABLES | CREDITS | ADVERTISING | AFFILIATION

Site News

July 8th
The Activity Check is over!

July 7th
The 5th Annual Charity Ball and

The Bachelor Auction!!

July 3rd
Lochland AM is on the Air!

Chatbox

Staff

Admin

Kat

Head Mod

Mods

Add Reply

A Guest At The Shop, Tag: Jackie Zimman
Andie Walker
 Posted: Jun 21 2018, 06:46 PM
Townie
Shade

Andie always loved special events at the shop. Excalibur Comics hosted a lot of events during the week, usually regular stuff like gaming nights and movie nights. Those were fun, but nothing really huge. Things like guests and signings, on the other hand, were big. The guest was a woman named Jacqueline Zimmerman. Andie had seen her work, and she really admired it. She was always big on people with talent in Jacqueline's field.

Andie had her staff prepping for the guest, all while going about the day's normal business. She had a table set up, and made sure there were snacks and drinks ready in case Jacqueline got hungry or thirsty and couldn't step out. Andie tried to think ahead as much as she could. Once everything was set, she made her way over to the counter where one of her regulars was waiting.

"Alright, Jim," she said. "Let's get you your stack for the week." She pulled out Jim's subscription stack. "Lots of good ones. The new Birds of Prey is brilliant, and the new She-Hulk... well I know you're a fan so I won't give anything away." Jim paid for his stack and the two bid one another a good day before he left.
PM
^
Jaqueline Zimman
 Posted: Jul 9 2018, 04:00 PM
Stranger
Jen

Jackie had been making up for a lack of a social life by throwing herself into work, and the darkness that had been clinging to her produced some pretty good material. She didn’t want to romanticize that sort of negative feeling, and it’s definitely not something she would share with her younger, more impressionable fans, but it helped her cope to know that something good could come out of it. She was working on a new graphic novel that was near completion. It had been in the works for years and was now nearing about 540 pages of short stories, so now was the time to start promoting it.

A book signing at a comic shop was always the way to go, and with the purchase of a comic that day they got a free preview of Jackie’s new book as well as a few scrap illustrations from old works, very short, and Jackie wished she could give more, but she still needed to make money and all that.

When she walked into the store, she found everything was set up, but it would be rude not to introduce herself to the shop’s owner. She waited until a customer had left before approaching Andie. They’d spoken on the phone while booking the event, but this was the first time they met face to face.

“Hey,” she smiled, stretching her hand out for a handshake, “I’m Jackie.” She rarely went by her birth name, Jaqueline, because she felt it sounded like a middle aged woman’s name, and she’d simply been called Jackie for so long, among various other nicknames, that hearing Jaqueline just sounded weird. “You must be Andie,” she added, “I’m excited to be signing here. I didn't even realize was a comic book shop on Plum Street, so I guess I'll have to come by more often.”
PM
^
Andie Walker
 Posted: Jul 9 2018, 08:54 PM
Townie
Shade

Andie looked over to see that Jackie had arrived. She remembered to call her Jackie from their phone convo. She was hardly surprised that one was as beautiful as she was, given she had a lovely voice on the phone. Andie stepped out from behind the counter and shook her hand.

"That would be me," she said when Jackie said she must have been Andie. "It's nice to properly meet you, Jackie." She then chuckled when Jackie said that she didn't realize there was a comic book shop on the street. "Well, you're not the first to say so. My husband and I opened it a few years ago, but it seems to blend in with everything else on the avenue." She decided not to say "late husband". She really didn't want to dampen a cheery atmosphere by mentioning her beloved spouse had departed.

"You're welcomed to look around a bit before the signing if you want," she said. "And if you need anything, I'll be about. By the way, I really love your work. I love when someone takes that style of graphic art and makes it their own." She didn't want to go all fangirl, but she wanted Jackie to know her work was really inspiring.
PM
^
Jaqueline Zimman
 Posted: Jul 10 2018, 05:19 PM
Stranger
Jen

"Well, you're not the first to say so. My husband and I opened it a few years ago, but it seems to blend in with everything else on the avenue."

There were some controversial opinions about whether it was okay to assume someone’s sexuality based on appearance, and Jackie had her own thoughts on that, but regardless, people always made assumptions about anyone they met, whether it was about sexuality or otherwise. With Andie, it just seemed obvious that the woman had to be queer, and Jackie’s mind immediately jumped to lesbian, a very hot and soft butch lesbian at that, so the mention of a husband came as a surprise. That sort of thing wasn’t as easy to spot as it used to be, so while Jackie was surprised, she didn’t give any visible indication to it.

“I also haven’t lived here too long, so that’s probably why I didn’t notice it,” she shrugged, but it did seem like most stores on the street blended in with each other, maybe because Jackie had only been around during rush hour when the streets got a little bit more crowded. “Aw, thank you,” she chuckled. She would never get tired of hearing people say they enjoyed her work, it was undoubtedly the most satisfying part of being an artist. “I’ve been at it for a really long time, so it’s nice to see my work pay off, you know?” She didn’t want to just brag about her art though. This place sold some of her graphic novels, so she needed to get to know a little more about it. “I’m sure you feel the same way with this place. It looks like a cool place to hang out.”
PM
^
Andie Walker
 Posted: Jul 11 2018, 07:31 PM
Townie
Shade

Andie chuckled when Jackie said that she hadn't lived there long, so she didn't notice.

"It's perfectly alright," she said. "I'm just happy that you were able to come by and sign today. I know a good few of my regulars were anxious to meet you when they heard that you were here. Some of them are up-and-coming artists, so I imagine they'll see you as a colleague of sorts."

Andie respected that Jackie had been doing what she did for a long time. Everything great took hard work and time and effort. She knew that all too well. Her late husband, Stan, and her didn't get Excalibur Comics over night. They had to go through the ropes to know how to run a business, find the place to run it, and to do what it took to turn a profit.

"Your hard work definitely paid off," said Andie. "It's clear you put your heart into it. My little girl is turning six soon, and I already try to teach her the value of work and effort if you want something. I hope she remembers that as she gets older."

She nodded about feeling the way about the shop.

"It's really my pride and joy, along with my little Diana of course," she said. "And I know Stan's looking down and smiling with pride too." She then blushed a bit, having that slip out. She was so used to saying it to those who knew her husband when he was alive.
PM
^
Jaqueline Zimman
 Posted: Jul 17 2018, 09:26 PM
Stranger
Jen

"I'm just happy that you were able to come by and sign today. I know a good few of my regulars were anxious to meet you when they heard that you were here. Some of them are up-and-coming artists, so I imagine they'll see you as a colleague of sorts."

“Oh, that’s exciting,” she chuckled. “I always like meeting new artists, they have all these great ideas and haven’t had their spirits crushed by all the critics.” Okay, maybe that was a bit too deep, but she said it with a smile, so it’s not too awkward, right? "…but yeah, they’re always fun to talk to.”

"It's clear you put your heart into it. My little girl is turning six soon, and I already try to teach her the value of work and effort if you want something. I hope she remembers that as she gets older."

Hard work was definitely an important lesson to teach kids, Jackie knew that much, but she was glad she would never in her life have to be in the proximity of a child, so she wouldn’t be the one to pass on that lesson. It’s not that she hated kids exactly. She could tolerate them, but she just found them very annoying and was almost scared of them, thinking they weren’t as innocent as they seemed. It was simply the effects of having been bullied from pre-K all the way up to last year of middle school. That kind of shit could scar you for life.

Other than revealing she had a kid, Andie also revealed her husband was dead. The only thing sadder than losing her husband period was the fact that she looked so young, not to mention her daughter was also way too young to have lost someone. She could somewhat relate, as she hadn’t lost her husband, but she’d lost her girlfriend, who had practically almost been end game. They never formally proposed to each other but it had been implied many times they’d spend the rest of their lives together, or at least that’s what Jackie had thought. Mira had been seeking companionship elsewhere, which made their plans for the future murky, but Jackie still felt that if Mira were alive today they would’ve worked things out and still been together.

“I mean, I obviously didn’t know him, but this shop is definitely something to smile at,” she smiled, not wanting to be one of those people that made the conversation sadder than it actually was. Yeah, it was tragic, but Andie had clearly kept the shop in good place, and if it were Jackie looking down at the shop from the “beyond”, she’d be pretty proud of how it looked.

“You must be a fan of comics yourself, right?” She asked since there was still some time before the signing started. Jackie herself wasn’t a fan of mainstream comics, but she could tolerate it for a conversation. Besides, she wasn’t about to walk into Andie’s shop and start criticizing the merchandise.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply