February 2018 Featured RPG
May 2018 Featured RPG

PLOT & RULES FAQ | MEMBER GROUPS | GETTING STARTED | REGISTRATION
Lochland AM/FM Radio is on the air
Have you heard the latest? Click Here

Traffic on Route 10? Wet Fireworks? Problems for the Charity Ball? Have you listened to Lochland AM Radio lately?

Missed the last broadcast?
Lochland AM Radio 1
Lochland AM Radio 2
106.3 The Bounce
Weather Warning

Welcome to Lochland Grove
Open since January 2, 2014

We are a Real Life Roleplay site focused on enriching character driven stories through events, newspaper headlines, and even death. Set in modern day Connecticut, our background plot follows the on-goings of a small town with a murderous past. Whether your character explores it is up to you. Life is about choice - this is your story. Our goal is to provide a place where you will feel comfortable writing it. Come join the fun!

Have you read the Newspaper?
You can read it Here

Preparations for the 5th Annual Charity Ball are almost finished. The newly renovated Red Vines Winery is excited to host, opening not only its doors on the 11th but its newly created winelist.

The 2018 Pride Parade is the 30th. Whether you are part of the LGBTQ or an Ally, wear your rainbow and come out to support the community.

CLAIMS | ADOPTABLES | CREDITS | ADVERTISING | AFFILIATION

Site News

July 8th
The Activity Check is over!

July 7th
The 5th Annual Charity Ball and

The Bachelor Auction!!

July 3rd
Lochland AM is on the Air!

Chatbox

Staff

Admin

Kat

Head Mod

Mods

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Dinner Date, Tag: Basil Kaya
Basil Kaya
 Posted: Apr 12 2018, 05:59 PM
Newcomer
Kat

((I found this menu, figured this might be useful: https://st-charles.firebirdsrestaurants.com/menus/dinner/ ))

It wasn’t often he spoke of his musical hobby. Basil rarely had the chance. His skill with a mandolin had been developed from an early age, and had hardly been something to brag about. Tiny guitars? The bigger he was the more uncomfortably tiny it seemed. Getting into the acoustic had happened mostly by chance, and now felt like a more charismatic substitute; He was amused his date preferred to hear the first instrument to the second.

Being given fresh bread was akin to giving a child candy. Basil eyed it with a quiet excitement that came out with polite ‘ah’. His date seemed amused. “This could be my whole meal and I would be satisfied,” the Kindergarten teacher had to search her face to make sure she wasn’t joking.. he had a feeling she was. ”I have.” He admitted honestly. ” Still, I don’t recommend it for those akin to more variety in their diet. After several days of just bread, even I needed more. “ He quickly buttered some bread with ‘maple butter’ and took a small bite.

. “So…Last questions. Lightning round. What was the last book you read? What did you want to be as a kid? Where were you raised? Go.”

Wait, what?

The man’s cheeks moved slightly as he chewed and tried to get all of the bread out of his teeth. It took a moment, but at least he had a few answers when he finished. ”Well... I recently read a chapter of ‘The Adventures of Captain Underpants to my class during quiet time.” It was hard to remember the last book he had read for himself. ”I’m thinking of trying out some old classics. Maybe black beauty or pride and prejudice. A co-worker thought I should read fifty shades of grey, but the information on the inside sleeve made me doubt it would be something I’d enjoy.” He cleared his throat, glancing at the bread still in his hand. ”It does make me question why my co-worker would suggest such a book but.. I think I’ll let that remain unasked.” Maybe she felt he needed to be more assertive or maybe she had a crush or maybe she really thought it was a romantic story. He did like music with a hint of romance, and the book had come up during that conversation.

”So.. what else was there? What did I want to be as a kid and where was I raised?” That sounded right, maybe. He always doubted his memory. ”I moved often as a child. I consider Alabama to be my home state. We were there more than anywhere else. As a kid I wanted to-” The realization hit him that it was a little more personal than he meant. ”-heh- I wanted to be a detective. I was named after Basil Rathbone, a famous actor. He played Sherlock Holmes in both a radio series and several films. My mother loved him. We listened to his radio shows on CDs from the library on long car trips. “ Where should he go from there? ”Later I realized that detective work wasn’t really something I wanted. Law enforcement or murder is too dangerous. I was pretty much uncertain after that, but I knew I wanted to be something that would attract my crush. “ He sat back in his chair, leaving the bread for now.

”so, I suppose I need to reciprocate the lightening round?” He swore he had enough trouble with just answering questions. Luckily someone arrived to take their orders and he was given a slight reprieve. ”Ah, hello!” He glanced at the menu then at his date. ”Would you care to order first? “ It would give him more time to think of questions. He honestly wasn’t sure, since he didn’t want to pry into anything she might be uncomfortable with. He had not thought too much of what he wanted to order, but the steaks were now practically glowing on the menu. Free food? He should go for the best.

--------------------
PM
^
Alondra Vidal
 Posted: Apr 21 2018, 08:09 PM
Newcomer
Daria

Alondra wasn’t a big reader. She only read romance novels, and by romance novels that meant the kind that got housewives hot and heavy…including 50 Shades, yes. She couldn’t just go out every night she wasn’t working to get laid when she had children at home needing her to cook and help them get ready for bed. It was significantly better to take care of her kids than go out with some stranger, but when she needed her release after the girls were off to bed she had her little book collection to tide her over.

Not that she would share that information with Basil. If there was ever a subject too awkward for a first date it’s what one gets off on, and she was trying to seem somewhat elegant for fun, so she kept that information to herself and simply laughed when Basil mentioned the infamous book series. “When that series got popular I was called into work much more often than usual,” she shared with an amused shake of her head, remembering the increase of sex-related injuries.

Alondra would have said she was fine with stopping the game there since he didn’t seem all that interested in it, but the waitress came and she was ready to order, so the game seemed to drop from both their minds.

“Yes, I’ll have a Chile rubbed Delmonico with parmesan mashed potatoes, please,”
she said, handing over the menu to the waitress. “And a glass of red wine.” She didn’t care what kind and told the waitress to surprise her if asked to specify. As Basil ordered, she took another roll of bread and covered it in butter.

“It’s funny you were named after an actor,” she said as the server left, “I was named after a bird, which I believe is a Lark in English. Did not inspire me to be a bird when I grew up, but I like the idea of being like one,” she smiled. “I just named my daughters after good people I knew, one a childhood friend and the other one of my nannies when I was a kid. If people really live up to their names I want my kids to be as kind and strong as them.”

Kindness wasn’t something she valued so much in herself, but she wanted her daughters to be the kind of people that others wanted to be around. That way she could be sure they would never be alone in the world yet they would still have the strength to leave when they needed to.
PM
^
Basil Kaya
 Posted: Apr 22 2018, 02:16 AM
Newcomer
Kat

By the time it was his turn, there was no doubt in his mind what he’d order.Basil could already imagine the luscious chunk of meat on his plate. Nothing was quite as manly. A good steak required no toppings or sauces, and ,if necessary, it could be dipped solely in its own juices for a little added flare. Paired with potatoes it was made to please his man card... or at least the gasping remains of it. The Kindergarten teacher had his issues, but for the moment he was feeling comfortable.

Well.. Mostly.

After they had ordered and the waiter had left, he found himself once again looking at his date. No longer was there a menu between them, and he started to feel slightly self conscious. She really was beautiful. She spoke about her daughters with a gentleness that he found quite attractive. He could tell she loved them dearly. “I just named my daughters after good people I knew, one a childhood friend and the other one of my nannies when I was a kid. If people really live up to their names I want my kids to be as kind and strong as them.” He couldn’t help but smile. ”That’s.. really beautiful.” His eyes met hers with warmth. ”Naming children is complicated. I imagine if I ever had kids I’d be fumbling.” Oh would he. ”I’m a planner by nature. I study, I read, and I set things in motion with a clear idea of what I’m doing. That way I feel settled. I’m... “ He hesitated, eyes dropping with mild embarrassment to the table before glancing up at her again with what he hoped was an honest expression and not a sheepish one. ”Not good at being spur of the moment. It’s a failing. Still, I can see myself standing there with a large list of names and no way to clearly decide. Knowing that I’d effect someone.. It’s .. mindblowing.” He’d make up for it by trying to be a good father, but once a child was named he as almost certain that changing his mind would be harder on them than deciding on it was in the first place.

Clearing his throat, he glanced up at the glass roof of their room. The sky was turning quickly from shadows to darkness, melting everything away into sparkling diamonds on black velvet. ”I think I may have mis-represented myself just now. I have been-that is-I once sold everything I had and hiked from Alabama to Louisiana a long time ago. The sky reminds me of that time. Sleeping in the grass, looking at the naked sky. I felt so free and lost at the same time.” A chilled bottle of wine arrived and he quickly accepted a glass then regretted it.

.. so.. dry...

Trying to not make a face, the kindergarten teacher smiled and set the glass down on the table. ”I’m not a wine connoisseur, but it certainly tastes like wine.” His tastebuds were mad at him. ”So, you know what I do for a living, my love for food, and the fact I can walk long distances. “ He tried to downplay his dislike for riding in cars, but that had been stated too. ”What are your hobbies, Alondra? Musical tastes? Maybe a quirk that isn’t as embarrassing as all of mine.”

--------------------
PM
^
Alondra Vidal
 Posted: May 7 2018, 09:23 AM
Newcomer
Daria

“I thought coming up with names would be harder, but once you have the baby in your arms it just becomes so clear. I’m a natural improviser myself though, so my experience isn’t universal.” She hadn’t decided what she would name her daughters until she had them in her arms and the people she cared about or were once a big part of her life popped into mind, but it worked out.

It was funny that she would never get to name another child. She’d entertained the idea of having another, especially when she saw Ali planning for colleges, but two daughters and her niece were quite enough.

What hobbies did Alondra have? With 12 hour shifts and two kids, plus her niece, it was a challenge to do anything for herself anymore. She had to be honest about that. “I don’t have a lot of hobbies since Ali was born. I used to love riding my motorcycle, and I keep it looking brand new, but I think it’s time to sell it. The cost of upkeep isn’t worth keeping around in case I get the chance to use it.” She held on to the hope that her kids would be self-sufficient enough not to require so much attention soon, leaving some extra time for her bike, but she didn’t want to miss a single moment with them. Giving up her bike was just a small price to pay.

She easily sipped on her own glass of wine before continuing with her answers.

“I like watching soap operas with my girls though I’m not sure that counts as much of a hobby,” she chuckled. “Music tastes…I’m a sucker for classic rock, though I have to admit I’m rather fond of The Wiggles’ discography,” she joked. It seemed they both had to endure children’s music often enough. “I’m one of those people that can listen to the same song a million times in a row.” Her daughters and sister knew that very well.

“For quirks, I’m ambidextrous…sort of. I write with my right hand but I do everything else with the left. It really set on an identity crisis when I was younger. Imagine being put in a left-handed desk at school because they saw you using scissors with your left, and then you have to struggle to write just one sheet of notes. It’s by far been my biggest struggle in life,” she joked.
PM
^
Basil Kaya
 Posted: May 22 2018, 02:34 PM
Newcomer
Kat

Miles of pavement had made its way under his feet. He’d been through several pairs of tennis shoes, but hardly regretted it. Deciding to walk out of Alabama had returned some sparkle to his life. Basil might have been passing it off as a hobby now, but at the time it was what helped him choose life over death. He smiled humbly at the mention of it. A quiet feeling of pride welling up in his chest, a memory. “I don’t have a lot of hobbies since Ali was born. I used to love riding my motorcycle, and I keep it looking brand new, but I think it’s time to sell it. The cost of upkeep isn’t worth keeping around in case I get the chance to use it.” Ah. ”I can’t say I’ve ever been on one. Growing up my mother was quick to crush any idea she felt was wild or dangerous.” To put it lightly. ”My.. father had passed away and I was an only son. I can’t completely blame her.”

He watched as she sipped her wine then listed off a few interests. Her girls, soap operas, classic rock.. children’s music. The kindergarten teacher in him couldn’t help but chuckle, but he tried not to seem as if he were patronizing. ”Who could not enjoy the Wiggles?” kids programing may have been made for education, but the adults surrounding it could at times feel adamantly opposed to it. “For quirks, I’m ambidextrous…sort of. I write with my right hand but I do everything else with the left. ..” His features lost some of their amusement, turning to something of awe. It wasn’t just an interesting quirk to him, even if she felt as much. ”Wow. That’s fascinating. The kindergarten has large tables instead of desks, but I’m sure that at older levels desks could be true terror.” It made him re-think the children in his class, wondering if he should be more perceptive. Her story made him feel as if he’d missed something, but it was correctable. ”Tonight, I hope you feel comfortable using whatever hand you choose. No judgment.” He almost added ‘or salad fork’, holding the joke back out of self consciousness; he didn’t know what a salad fork was.

While he’d expected the date to be a little stressful, Basil had only hoped it would be fun. The fact it was turning out quite nice was far from lost on him. They hadn’t talked for long, but seemed Alondra funny and honest. It took some of the edge off of his worries. ”Come to think of it, Lochland seems to be a rather comfortable town. They don’t seem to have much conflict, and it’s rather nice to see so many friendly people.” He could smell food. Something told him that they would be eating shortly, and he could barely contain his excitement. ”While I can only speak from my own observations, the area seems great for raising kids.” He exhaled a soft laugh. ”Not that I have kids but.. well, no need to be repetitious.” They both knew he was a kindergarten teacher. ”The fact they have so many community events is nice as well. I can’t always make everything, unfortunately. The Charity Ball is perhaps my favorite. Excellent food, beautiful atmosphere.” He folded his hands on the table then removed them again as he saw his steak appear through the door. ”Ah!” It was.. HUGE.. The man had to mentally tell himself to close his mouth. ”Well, that’s... Wow.” The foody in him was giddy. ”A dinner beneath the stars, and what a dinner.”

As much as he wanted to eat, Basil waited. He smiled softly at his date with the utmost warmth. "Are you the type of person who prefers complete silence while you eat or an ongoing conversation? I can do either. My mother was quite big on talking at the dinner table, but quite serious about her food... it.. made me very aware of other people's eating habits." It was akin to poking a bear when Mrs Kaya had food in her mouth. Fear was an understatement when she roared.

--------------------
PM
^
Alondra Vidal
 Posted: Jun 7 2018, 05:02 PM
Newcomer
Daria

Basil was considerate enough to ask whether she was the type to eat in silence or chat during a meal. “With a family like mine, I can’t be the silent type,” she chuckled. Bonnie was a chatterbox, always sharing detailed stories of her day. Who else could stretch a story about finding a cute bug on the see-saw into a 15 minute plot all the way through exposition and resolution? She would be a great storyteller someday. The thought amused Alondra and made her weary of when the girl would grow up and start telling fibs to get out of doing chores or trying to sneak her love interest over.

Ali wasn’t as talkative unless prompted on a subject she felt confident in her knowledge of. Ask her about her day and she’ll give a simple “fine,” but ask her to explain one of her ongoing projects and she would go into thorough explanations, filling her family in on certain subjects as needed. She was good at that, maybe even good enough to be a teacher someday, or a professor.

Emma, not her daughter but her niece, knew less words, but that didn’t stop her. She was about as chatty as Bonnie, though significantly more quiet without her cousin around, probably because of how much time they spent together. Maybe she would be a storyteller too. Some of the fun of having kids was guessing what they’d grow up to be, and Alondra took great delight in seeing how the girls changed over time, slowly losing and gaining traits that would shape their experiences in the world. It was all so exciting, a little sad, yes, when she thought of how quickly they grew, but exciting still.

“But as you were saying…Lochland has been great for my kids. It’s tight-knit enough I can keep an eye on them while still giving them some freedom.” She didn’t like to hover over her girls. Laidback parenting was definitely something she aspired to more, but as much as she wanted to be their friend, kids needed some authority. She still hadn’t learned the secret of balancing both.

“And I suppose the events are great…so I hear. Can you believe I’ve had to work through every Charity Ball since I moved here?” She chuckled. “It’s a shame I’ve been living here for a while and haven’t taken full advantage of the events.” Sometimes her shift was scheduled to end just in time for her to plan to go home, wash up, and go to the ball, but she knew she left shifts far too tired to do that. “Maybe this will be my lucky year and I’ll manage to go to one.” She wasn’t sure if it was even accessible to everyone. A “ball” sounded pretty fancy, but if a kindergarten teacher could afford a ticket, or whatever entrance requirement, then a nurse should be able to.

“So, how’s the ball work? Dinner and dancing? I hope you wouldn’t mind being an impromptu source of information on Lochland,” she teased, finally cutting into her steak as she waited for an answer. “It’d be nice to know what I’m missing out on while I’m at work.” Not just for the charity ball, but whatever else they had in Lochland. It was probably better than being at the hospital cleaning up blood and other gross substances.
PM
^
Basil Kaya
 Posted: Jun 11 2018, 02:43 AM
Newcomer
Kat

This steak could take over the world. It was HUGE, with a pat of herbed butter and so much potential. Perhaps it was too soon to say he would savor every bite, but Basil’s eyes were telling his stomach that great things were in store for it. Perhaps he was too enthralled; He almost dropped his fork when he heard his date had never attended the Charity Ball. "Eh, pardon?" His brain quickly made connections. It had to separate first from the steak. For some reason the idea of the ‘charity ball' made him think of a steak in evening wear, and it was.. confusing. "You haven't been?" It was a somewhat heroic save, considering where he had been coming from. “It’s a shame I’ve been living here for a while and haven’t taken full advantage of the events.” He nodded, cutting his steak into small pieces so that he wouldn’t accidentally choke the next time he tunnel visioned into his food. ”A complete shame. “ He was still working the food-filled glee out of his head. “Maybe this will be my lucky year and I’ll manage to go to one.” Just one?

Setting his fork down, he took his glass from the table and forced himself to be more aware. ”If I may make suggestions, the two biggest events of the year are by far the charity ball and the halloween party at the Richfield mansion. I’ve never been to the mansion myself, but the stories fascinate me.” He took a sip of his drink and set it down again. “So, how’s the ball work? Dinner and dancing? I hope you wouldn’t mind being an impromptu source of information on Lochland, It’d be nice to know what I’m missing out on while I’m at work.”” The man who scheduled and planned everything tried not to seem quite so amused, but he couldn’t help but exhale a short laugh. ”Well, it does so happen that I did do my homework on the subject.” He admitted humbly. ”Please allow me a few bites of steak and I’ll gladly give you a run down of the event.” he quickly turned to his steak with glee.

Oh this was beautiful.

One bite was more than enough. The cooking was perfect. Not dry. It had a juiciness to it. Pink in the middle. The butter was a nice touch, but he didn’t feel that the steak itself needed the extra attention. Over all he chewed and savored as only a foodie could. Oh.. so.. good.

Returning from steak-space, he settled back in reality and nodded. ”It’s great. A wonderful choice. I hope yours is to your liking.. that is, your steak.” His brow wrinkled, trying not to seem like a complete idiot and feeling as if he were failing. His date really looked beautiful in the low light. ”hmm.. soo.” Consciously he straightened his posture and made sure he left his elbows off the table. ”The charity ball happens once a year in July. It’s exclusively about making money for a good cause. Usually it’s to help people in need., and it tends to bring in celebrities. Not just local ones, but national ones. We’ve had directors, fashion designers, musicians, billionaires, Olympians.. “ He couldn’t recall what else, but the information updated every year with a listing. ”There is a bachelor auction and then a 6 course meal. I’ve never taken full advantage of the open bar, but I’ve enjoyed the various punches. Usually they are a fun find.” He paused to take another bite of steak and chewed with more attention to his date than the food. ”There is dancing.” It was an after thought. ”I’m... a terrible dancer.. Mostly. I know a little ballroom. Not quite what people are looking for when a DJ is present, but I do pretty well when the over 60 crowd takes the floor.” He grinned, taking another bite with contentment.

--------------------
PM
^
Alondra Vidal
 Posted: Jul 8 2018, 10:53 AM
Newcomer
Daria

The way Basil described the Charity Ball sounded fantastic for someone who liked to dress up, flaunt their money, and eat more than they could fit while pretending to care about something, but to Alondra it just sounded…bougie. She wasn’t really interested in mingling with rich people who had more than enough money to give to charity on their own, without needing a fancy display to prompt them to do it, or without asking people who had less to contribute to their cause. She liked to dress up and she liked to eat, but she didn’t need to stick on a “good cause” to do that. She gave when she could because she wanted to, not because she wanted other people to see how much money she could give away.

She wouldn’t say any of this to Basil; to each their own, and at least someone would benefit from it even if it all seemed hypocritical to her, but she didn’t plan on going to the Charity Ball at all. She could dance and eat a large meal with her daughters at home. The halloween party…she didn’t know enough about that to criticize it, but anything with “party” in it was bound to be more fun than “ball.” It was just another event she hadn’t had the chance to attend.

While Alondra had no problem with letting her face show what she was thinking, Basil was a nice guy, and she didn’t want to kill his enthusiasm, so she kept smiling as usual, eating her food while he was talking. The chewing helped keep the bitch face at bay. Basil remarked on how his ballroom skills were quite fitting for the elderly crowd, which actually made her laugh. She stifled it and brought her hand up to cover her mouth in case she ended up sputtering her food all over, but that didn’t happen. She swallowed and her lips stretched back into an amused smile.

"You’re funny,” she said with a light chuckle. “Maybe I will go. I have to see those moves for myself,” she teased. However, she was more the kind to dance in the crowd for a DJ. This mom’s still got it. “Work just takes up whatever time I’m not spending with my family, but I’m usually free on Halloween once my girls are done arguing with each other on unfair trades involving candy, and then arguing with me on why I should let them finish all three bags of candy in one sitting.

So what stories do you have on the mansion?” Not that she knew much about the party either, but if the idea was just to get drunk at a mansion in costume, that’s something she was always down for. She always took Emma and Bonnie trick-or treating, and would have taken Ali last year too if she hadn’t decided she was too old for it, but if the party was late enough, as in still happening once Emma and Bonnie’s sugar rushes wore off and they were tucked in, perhaps it was the year to do something a little different.
PM
^
Basil Kaya
 Posted: Jul 11 2018, 06:34 PM
Newcomer
Kat

His research had certainly come in handy. Basil felt mildly proud of himself. The mental pack on the back was well earned. It had been years of Charity Balls and failed relationships to get him there...

... hmm... when he thought about it that way it didn’t sound half so pleasant.

"You’re funny,” Alondra‘s gentle chuckle lifted his spirits. Granted he‘d earned it at the cost of making fun of his own dancing, but that was beside the point. “Maybe I will go. I have to see those moves for myself,” Basil managed a muted smile. “Work just takes up whatever time I’m not spending with my family, but I’m usually free on Halloween once my girls are done arguing with each other on unfair trades involving candy, and then arguing with me on why I should let them finish all three bags of candy in one sitting. He could imagine the struggle. ”That is tough, reasoning with sugar addled youth.” Classes on Halloween were always a struggle. Actually, classes the week AFTER Halloween were no better. Sugar was everywhere. So what stories do you have on the mansion?”

ohhhh. mmm..

Hmm....

”Well.. I.. honestly don’t have much to tell on the Mansion. I mean, I’ve read about it. I’ve just never gone myself.” He took a moment to consume a few pieces of steak, leaving the room to quiet a moment while he pondered. ”I know I’ve said this already, but this is really really good.” His tongue ran over the back of his teeth to free a few pieces of steak before he set down his fork and reached for his drink. ”So.. the Mansion.. “ Right, this would take some mental exercising. ”They say it’s haunted. As I’ve said, I’ve never been.” Internally he was still hmmmming. ”They renovated parts of it. There is a bed and breakfast, a stained glass museum, and a large section reserved for parties.” He barely tasted his drink, too consumed now with remembering things. The man had to quickly bring a hand to his mouth to keep from spilling. ”Mmph.” Right, concentrate. ”Heh. Didn’t spill. “ The man quickly dried his fingers on his napkin. ”It’s just a party. No dinner. Just costumes and music and some snacks. It’s a bit far out for me.” Not to mention if they weren’t going to feed him there was no reason for him to walk the several miles out of town to go.

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll