February 2017 Featured RPG
March 2017 Featured RPG
June 2017 Featured RPG
September 2017 Featured RPG
November 2017 Featured RPG

PLOT & RULES | MEMBER GROUPS | GETTING STARTED | REGISTRATION
Choose your own Adventure!
What happens next? Vote Here

Kat and Jaya wake up in Lochland Grove after some mischievous spirits get a hold of the latest copy of The Lochland Times. Site work is never done!

This Episode: Missing: lost Kat. Jaya may have spotted her, but there is a suspicious ghost running away. Should she chase the ghost or go wrangle her friend?

Welcome to Lochland Grove
Open since January 2, 2014

We are a Real Life Roleplay site focused on enriching character driven stories through events, newspaper headlines, and even death. Set in modern day Connecticut, our background plot follows the on-goings of a small town with a murderous past. Whether your character explores it is up to you. Life is about choice - this is your story. Our goal is to provide a place where you will feel comfortable writing it. Come join the fun!

Haunted Halloween Party!
Halloween has come to Lochland, and the old Richfield Family Manson welcomes everyone to attend a costume party unlike any other.

Canned Food Drive!
Thanksgiving is coming. Bring food to Town Hall, and help the less fortunate. Coats, hats, and scarves are also welcome.

CLAIMS | ADOPTABLES | CREDITS | ADVERTISING | AFFILIATION

Site News

December 5th
Decision 7, Woo!

December 1st
No Activity Check! Happy Holidays!

November 19th
Decision 6 is up!

Chatbox

Staff

Admin

Kat

Head Mod

Mods

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Mind Your Time Here, Tag: Preston Marx
Preston Marx
 Posted: Aug 5 2017, 03:18 PM
Stranger
Ry

Unintentional victim shaming was a thing, he’d admit that much. It was a sad truth but the truth none the less and possibly a bit hypocritical because everyone had something that was ‘broken’ or ‘imperfect’ about them. Preston wasn’t an exception to this point and he was well aware, but he tried not to let his down falls hold him back from things and hoped he didn’t make anyone else feel like he was judging any flaws that they might have had.

He didn’t think that there was anything wrong with Teagan, or he wouldn’t have classified the man’s aversion to travel as being a setback in any way, that was just his preference. Like Pres’ preference not to speak, it wasn’t something wrong with him but that’s how he chose to live his life. In fact, he rather liked Teagan even though he didn’t know much about the guy he had a feeling that he was a nice man who made the most lovely origami than anyone else he knew. Although, full disclosure he did have to admit that Teagan was the only person he knew who made origami but that was beside the point because he was amazed by it either way.

Second to the origami, he appreciated that he didn’t feel rushed to communicate with the man, which was a big deal to the mute. He was patient enough and didn’t mind Preston’s curiosity too much. “Claro que si… the Robert Lewis stuff… Its been years since I’ve known anyone to be buried here, but its more expensive. Some people are buried out of town just for that because I’m told this is some sort of landmark. I definitely don’t see it like that, but it can cross between a legitimate place of peace and mourning to some sort of tourist attraction, depending on the person. Which is kind of awful I think, honestly.” Now that it had been pointed out, it did seem kinda messed up that people’s resting places had been incorporated into the tourist trap that was Robert Lewis. ‘I don’t think I like it either. It’s disrespectful.’ He wrote. ‘I wouldn’t want someone I cared about to have their resting place put on display to comemcommemorate a serial killer.’ He showed the notebook but turned it back around just as quickly as another question came to him. ‘What did what you said mean? Claro k c?’ He was positive that wasn’t the spelling but… it was the best he could do, ASL was the only other language he ever studied at all.
PM
^
Teagan Landry
 Posted: Aug 6 2017, 05:10 PM
Local
Jaya

Some people were more judgmental than others, of course, but everyone had that inside them. The more people you knew, and the more experiences you had, the less likely you were to judge people for things. You could put a face you cared about to a situation, and it became something understandable. Teagan benefited from having so many students over the years. Sure, it was a high school in a small town, but each student was still unique. Some things ought to be judged, but that was certainly not everything people had held against them.

Since Teagan had lived in Lochland for over half his life, he was all too familiar with the Robert Lewis lore. He knew that it was a point of pride for the town itself. He knew that some people even still struggled with the fact that Lochland was, in recent news, better known for being a charitable location for flood victims than it was for being a historic site of various murders. Who would prefer being known for ancient murders instead of recent kindness? Some people. Still, Teagan really never felt that way about the cemetery. Well, maybe when he’d been a teenager, but once his mother died, he completely forgot that feeling. It was just the place where his mother rested, and that was a far stronger association than anything else he could come up with.

When Teagan addressed the tourist appeal of the cemetery, Preston expressed that it was disrespectful. And he wouldn’t want people he cared about to commemorate a serial killer. Teagan nodded, but he didn’t comment on it because Preston was writing again. Claro K C. Teagan again nodded, this time just to move while he thought. “Um, right. Claro que si. It means ‘of course’ or ‘of course yes.’ Directly it would be clearly what yes, but it means of course yes. And you can say Claro que no, to mean of course not. Its spelled q, u, e, and s, I, as in yes in Spanish.” His accent, which was generally more on the French side, picked up the pronunciation of the words automatically when he said anything in Spanish, and even more so when he was explaining something. “It’s a term I use a lot in class. And my Mother used to say it pretty often.

--------------------
Ianthe StuartTeagan LandryUriah SuttonFrankie NazarroSabrina HarrisonSeraphim DrakeBlake Gutierrez
Tracker - Bisexual - High School Spanish Teacher - House
PMEmail
^
Preston Marx
 Posted: Aug 15 2017, 11:30 AM
Stranger
Ry

Imperfections were all part of human nature and even though it was impossible to never make mistakes the point was to at least try to be a decent human being. That’s what Preston did, he tried and most of the time he figured he did okay. This talk with Teagan was opening his eyes a little bit whether that had been the intention or not. He’d been working in the cemetery since coming to Lochland and hadn’t thought about how the Robert Lewis things affected the people buried there, or their families. Maybe it didn’t bother people the way he thought it might but he could see the offense in it now too.

Some people were just fascinated by murder mysteries and all that stuff. For instance, the anniversary of the JonBennet Ramsey murder just passed and that had everyone all excited because supposedly the brother was going to make a statement about the events… or that’s what he had thought he’d heard anyway. It was fine, he guessed, to express an interest as long as it was tasteful, right?

He had commented on his thoughts and decided halfway through that he tacked on another question that Teagan focused on. “Um, right. Claro que si. It means ‘of course’ or ‘of course yes.’ Directly it would be clearly what yes, but it means of course yes. And you can say Claro que no, to mean of course not. Its spelled q, u, e, and s, I, as in yes in Spanish. It’s a term I use a lot in class. And my Mother used to say it pretty often.” He was sure at some point in time he had heard the Spanish ‘si’ for yes, it just hadn’t clicked in his head that’s what was being said. Spanish was always the most ‘popular’ language classes that he remembered from school but he never took it. ‘Languages are kinda weird, like the literal break down and what it actually means in translation.’ His train of thought might have derailed a little bit. ‘I wonder how different signing is in other languages.’ He knew ASL, or ‘American’ sigh language, but it made sense that other cultures would sign differently if they spoke differently as well, right? He had made a note in the margins of the proper spelling and meaning of ‘claro que si’. ‘Did you learn Spanish from your mom?’ He was curious.
PM
^
Teagan Landry
 Posted: Aug 23 2017, 05:53 PM
Local
Jaya

Preston did a good job at trying to be a decent human being. It wasn’t hard to avoid being a bad human. People had their many flaws, but when you took and action, you had a choice between selfishness and selflessness, and another in between. Teagan tried to be nice, and not to take things personally. The cemetery had been a tourist spot since long before he and his mother had moved here, let alone her burial there. He couldn’t just come in and take offense to the traditions if he was going to stay here. It was not his favorite, but he didn’t lose sleep over it. He just lost sleep in general.

Tabloids loved a scandal, whether it was appropriate or not. Affairs? Murder? Rape? Weight loss and gain? They were all the easy targets of whatever glossy papers were stocked along the checkout lane at a grocery store. Teagan spent only so much time online, and most scandals went right over his head. He didn’t want his own laundry, clean or dirty, published anywhere, and he didn’t get anything out of reading celebrity gossip. He wasn’t that up to date on any kind of news, but he was a bit better with local news at least.

What was much more in Teagan’s wheelhouse was the subject of foreign language and what claro que si meant. Spanish was the most common language class to take because of how many Spanish speaking immigrants there were. Although Teagan wondered if that was going to shift soon, since it seemed things were becoming more diverse. It wouldn’t lose him his job though. Teagan chuckled when Preston wrote that languages and their literal break down was odd. “Well, we ask ‘what’s up’ to ask what someone is doing. Or ‘how’s it hanging,’ or saying things like ‘that’s cool’ or hot or… whatever. And when you think about it, the literal words don’t make sense. We just got used to what they meant.” He had nothing to say for how different signing would be in other languages, just a shrug.

Did he learn Spanish from his mother? “Yes. Her family spoke fluent Spanish, and she wanted me to be able to do that too, so she spoke Spanish to me very often as a child.” And his father spoke French to him, but… that wasn’t really something he wanted to draw attention to. “Did anyone in your family speak anything besides English?” And there was sign, but that wasn’t speaking, strictly speaking.

--------------------
Ianthe StuartTeagan LandryUriah SuttonFrankie NazarroSabrina HarrisonSeraphim DrakeBlake Gutierrez
PMEmail
^
Preston Marx
 Posted: Sep 17 2017, 02:24 PM
Stranger
Ry

It was relatively easy to be a decent person, but like most things in life it did require a certain amount of work to it. He hadn’t ever minded putting the effort in but that wasn’t true for everyone. In Preston’s case he just didn’t have a mean bone in his body and he couldn’t bring himself to blatantly wrong someone; jeeze, he felt bad enough when he accidentally wronged someone. He knew better than to expect that from everyone else but it wasn’t going to inhibit who he was deep down.

The best he could do was just try and surround himself with others like himself; like Graz with her own naïve innocence, or Teagan who had been nothing but kind to him even in their short time knowing each other. Maybe one day they’d find a reason to meet outside of the cemetery even, not that he was complaining about their current setting… he wouldn’t work there if he had a problem with it, right? He smiled with Teagan’s explanation of society’s familiarity with figurative phrases. The guy was right though, there were tons of English phrases that could be identified as ‘slang’ that were widely understood but didn’t make much literal sense. ‘Like… ‘getting cold feet’.’ He wrote. ‘It has nothing to do with your feet actually being cold.’ There was a word for phrases like that but he couldn’t recall it at the moment. Oh well.

Teagan explained that, yes, he had learned Spanish from his mother because she had been a fluent speaker and wanted to pass that along to her son, then followed up with a question of his own. “Did anyone in your family speak anything besides English?” Pres gave a shake of his head at first. ‘No… we weren’t around them much until I was a little older anyway. Unless you count signing… but that’s not spoken.” Came the scribbles. Then he was thoughtful for a moment. ‘I think I’d like to learn another language though.. it’d be interesting… Probably hard without talking though.’ He gave a bit of a disappointed frown at the last bit before he showed the book to Teagan.
PM
^
Teagan Landry
 Posted: Sep 27 2017, 05:58 PM
Local
Jaya

Lots of people said you should toughen up. You should have a stiff upper lip, not let things get to you. Not be a doormat, or a pushover. People wanted you to grow cold so that they didn’t have to see you in pain and know that they’d caused it. There were also people that just generally wanted to avoid unnecessary suffering, so they would prefer to take feelings out of the equation. And then people complained that there weren’t enough nice people around. It was really quite sad.

Teagan gave a few examples of colloquialisms that didn’t make a lot of sense, and Preston agreed. The agreement was expressed in the form of Preston giving an example of his own. Getting cold feet, which had nothing to do with feet being cold. Teagan laughed, more so at Preston’s explanation of why it didn’t make sense than the actual example. “Right, that’s a good one.

Preston’s family did not speak any other languages besides English. Unless they counted Sign, but it wasn’t spoken. Teagan chuckled. “Right.” It wasn’t what Teagan had meant, since he actually knew about the sign language part. “But that’s fairly convenient for you, that anyone knew that one in particular.

I think I’d like to learn another language though… it’d be interesting… probably hard without talking though.

Hm…” Teagan responded thoughtfully. “I think you’d actually… get a lot out of meeting my son. He knows French and Spanish, which I taught him. Fluent enough, although his accent isn’t perfect and… he doesn’t think in either language. I mean, he thinks, a lot, but its in English. But like I was saying, he’s learning sign language. It would be interesting. He used to not talk very much at all, but I would try to teach him Spanish when I was younger, back when he was a kid. It was easier when he was practicing it, but you can learn it in written form, and memorize it for recognition. Its not as easy, sure, but its definitely do-able.” He smiled, being very positive. He did mean what he said.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Preston Marx
 Posted: Sep 28 2017, 07:49 PM
Stranger
Ry

Society was pretty flawed in the grand scheme of things. People had a way of wanting one thing one minute and something completely opposite in the next. Not that Preston was immune to having his own contradictions but… he was human too, right? Feelings didn’t make that mix any easier because there was this unspoken rule about when certain things were and were not acceptable and you’re supposed to feel things because that’s just part of life but don’t feel it too strongly or anything and you can’t just share those feelings with anyone or that’d be weird.

Preston, honestly, tried not to think about it so much and just… what was that phrase? Roll with the punches, or whatever. It was better, in his mind at least, than trying to pre-plan everything and all that. Unplanned things helped eliminate the possibility of getting cold feet. An idiom that earned a chuckle from Teagan, to which Preston smiled widely. ”Right, that’s a good one.” They were on the same page with that. “But that’s fairly convenient for you, that anyone knew that one in particular.” That too. Even if he hadn’t needed anyone to know it for him until he was a teenager but that was beside the point.

What Teagan said next had been a bit surprising for Pres but not in a bad way. The mute was very rarely dismissive of meeting new people and this instance was no different. Teagan had thought that meeting his son would be interesting for Pres because he hadn’t spoken much when he learned French and Spanish and now he was learning sign language too. The other also mentioned that learning the written language were entirely possible, which Preston liked. ‘That does sound like it’d be interesting! I could help him with his signing too if… he wanted?’ Pres wasn’t a teacher by any means but he had made it work in the past where he’d been able to impart some knowledge onto those he spent a lot of time with. ‘I think I’d like that.’ He decided, smiling with approval after scribbling the words.
PM
^
Teagan Landry
 Posted: Sep 29 2017, 10:36 PM
Local
Jaya

People, their flaws, their feelings, their experiences, it was all a big pot mixed together until they became a more uniform shape. You couldn’t determine what influence made what color or texture appear. Although sometimes you came across a chunk of something and you knew exactly where that came from. Everyone was different, but you didn’t often check closely enough to be able to distinguish. Surface attention rarely yielded a proper list of human ingredients.

It was convenient for someone in Preston’s family to know sign language, even without Teagan knowing what on earth the history was in that regard. He’d gotten the impression it was a bit abnormal, but he also wasn’t willing to ask. Teagan never liked to be rude to anyone, and Preston was really a sweet guy. There were almost no circumstances where Teagan would go out of his way to suggest that someone meet his son. Robin wasn’t the easiest person to get along with. He was respectful and mature, but he was also very calm and even cold to people he didn’t know. To say he didn’t see a need for useless chatter was laughably true, but he was willing to humor people if Teagan liked them.

Preston seemed happy about the idea of meeting Robin and learning the written language. If nothing else, he could understand people. It wasn’t an easy thing to pick up a new language, but the more you immersed yourself, the easier it got. Anyone could do it if they were dedicated, and didn’t try to do it passively over years. You would just forget things that way. It needed to be active, intentional. “Great. Would it be weird if I just brought him by the cemetery sometime? He doesn’t really come here on his own… I mean, if he did, he wouldn’t be looking to socialize, unless I brought him. He’ll think I’m weird regardless… I think he does that every time he’s in town though.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll