February 2018 Featured RPG
May 2018 Featured RPG

PLOT & RULES FAQ | MEMBER GROUPS | GETTING STARTED | REGISTRATION
Lochland AM/FM Radio is on the air
Have you heard the latest? Click Here

Traffic on Route 10? Wet Fireworks? Problems for the Charity Ball? Have you listened to Lochland AM Radio lately?

Missed the last broadcast?
Lochland AM Radio 1
Lochland AM Radio 2
106.3 The Bounce
Weather Warning

Welcome to Lochland Grove
Open since January 2, 2014

We are a Real Life Roleplay site focused on enriching character driven stories through events, newspaper headlines, and even death. Set in modern day Connecticut, our background plot follows the on-goings of a small town with a murderous past. Whether your character explores it is up to you. Life is about choice - this is your story. Our goal is to provide a place where you will feel comfortable writing it. Come join the fun!

Have you read the Newspaper?
You can read it Here

Preparations for the 5th Annual Charity Ball are almost finished. The newly renovated Red Vines Winery is excited to host, opening not only its doors on the 11th but its newly created winelist.

The 2018 Pride Parade is the 30th. Whether you are part of the LGBTQ or an Ally, wear your rainbow and come out to support the community.

CLAIMS | ADOPTABLES | CREDITS | ADVERTISING | AFFILIATION

Site News

July 8th
The Activity Check is over!

July 7th
The 5th Annual Charity Ball and

The Bachelor Auction!!

July 3rd
Lochland AM is on the Air!

Chatbox

Staff

Admin

Kat

Head Mod

Mods

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

Breaking the Cycle, Tagged: Seraphim Drake
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: May 22 2018, 09:03 PM
Townie
Jaya

Confidence was not the worst, “No… confidence is rational, with a foundation in actual competence… overconfidence, not so much.” She couldn’t read his mind, and didn’t know what he was like as a child beyond his words this evening. Realistically, everyone suffered from some overconfidence at points in their life, and could also fall into insecurity. Sometimes a person displayed overconfidence to mask insecurity. Feeling like one was better than the other. There was no hope to fix the real problem if you just masked it though. Sera was much more likely to mask her problems with a happy face, but she tried not to be annoying about it.

Arturo could remain the expert in his field, and Seraphim could have her skating. He didn’t draw attention to her lack of childhood memory, and did not ask about her adult stupidity. It was for the best. She didn’t need to dig up that story, and she didn’t really want to seem as foolish as she was in retrospect. Her bleeding heart had only benefited from having a child. She had to preserve Lainey, more than she had to keep her own safety in mind.

He didn’t know how to skate at all. Sera chuckled. “You sound like Lainey’s father. Well, he knows how, he’s just… not a graceful man on the ice.” He tried, bless his heart. He could chase down criminals, scowl like the best of them, and she struggled to imagine him embarrassing himself at work, but he certainly was not meant to blade across a skating rink. He spoke of the cold and she laughed again, “Is it too much for you? I love it…” Lived here a while? “Yes, um… March 2013… five years I guess. I lived in Phoenix before but… I guess I’m in love with the cold.” It was definitely from the skating rinks, which she now realized. She’d formerly thought she must have been from a cold climate.

--------------------
Ianthe StuartTeagan LandryUriah SuttonFrankie NazarroSabrina HarrisonSeraphim DrakeBlake Gutierrez
Tracker - Heterosexual - Waitress at Gertie's - Apartment
PM
^
Arturo Reyes
 Posted: May 28 2018, 07:44 PM
Townie
Asa

“That is what experiencing the world is for.” he shrugged, recalling when he had been younger he thought he knew everything, nothing humbled a young man more than finding out he didn’t know as much as he thought he did. It wasn’t until he got out on his own did he realize that the adults in his life he had refused to listen to, knew what they were talking about. He could go on a spiel about “kids these days” and how they were raised wrong and were spoiled and wanted everything handed to them without having to work for it but he refrained. No sense in making things needlessly political.

“I went to the ice rink one time, I held onto that rail the whole time … until I got too brave, then I fell … ice is hard.” he would argue that it was harder than concrete, that was a painful fall, right on his ass and he hadn’t exactly been a young man at the time, made getting up all the more difficult. He was interested to hear about Lainey’s father, Arturo didn’t think he knew him.

“Sometimes, yes.” he admitted shamelessly, he was used to much warmer weather. Even if it did occasionally get cold in Mexico, he was used to California weather when he moved here to Connecticut, “It got way too cold for me in January, one morning I start my car, all the gauges are frozen!” that had shocked him, and it showed on his face as he retold of his surprise, “I did not know how fast I was going all the way to work.” he had also noted that when changing radio stations the numbers had moved with alarming sluggishness. Thankfully it warmed up just enough throughout the day that when he left for home, everything was normal again.

“That is about how long I have been living here.” he compared the numbers with a nod, “Living here, not working here, still getting used to working here.” he didn’t miss the commute, that was for sure, “Arizona … I have been, never lived or worked there, though, I was in New Mexico.” and a little bit in Texas, “My wife has been here longer than me, I could not get a transfer for a long time. She works at a women’s shelter, she is a counselor.”

--------------------
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: May 29 2018, 03:36 PM
Townie
Jaya

Experience was for teaching you not to be overconfidence. Teaching competence without it being an unfounded ego boost. “Mmm.” She had no argument for his assertion, after all. She doubted that every child was raised the same in any generation. There were trends, traditions, and changes in perception and culture but… she would hope that she wasn’t going to spoil her daughter. First, because Lainey deserved to learn about life, not just be carried through it, second because it would be exhausting and Sera didn’t have the energy to deal with it forever. She was a little bit bratty at times now, and Sera was a giver, but… it would hopefully work out.

Sera inhaled when Arturo commented that the ice was hard. “Yeah.. that its certainly hard. I’ve been on it many times. Bruises and cuts…” Sprains, broken bones. She’d seen pictures, but she didn’t know the stories. There were memories there too, and she knew a few of them. Had dreamed them up or imagined them in the right moments. It was strange, but… better than nothing. “I hope you didn’t hurt for too long after.

Sometimes the weather here we too much for him. Well, if he admitted it, that was fine. Self-awareness was good, right? Apparently his car gauges had frozen up. She laughed. “I don’t think that’s practicing safe driving habits, sir. Shame,” she joked. “Well, I didn’t get a car until… October or November of 2016… I didn’t think it was good for Lainey to just be pushed around town in a stroller through the winter. But that does mean I spent a few years walking to and from work in the winter… I can imagine a car wouldn’t enjoy some of those mornings either, no.” She might have gotten around t having a car by now if not for her daughter, but not as quickly. She had, after all, gone her entire pregnancy without a vehicle. Her life choices could be questionable at times.

Similar timeframe, very different lives.” She refrained from saying much about Arizona. It was beautiful, and yet… she couldn’t say very much about it honestly without getting into heavy waters and foggy dreams. She had no interest in that. He mentioned his wife living here longer than him, “Oh? That sounds difficult. Being unable to live together…” she trailed off, thinking of more things she did not wish to say. Life could be too complicated. “Sounds like a very good job. Demanding though. I’ve been to some, not um… living there, but there are times I need to fill… holidays mostly.” She did a lot of charity on holidays if she didn’t work because really… she had a baby, and an ex. And her ex usually worked anyway. So it was more enjoyable to spend her time helping people than just being alone. She might change it when Lainey was older, but she might just have Lainey help as well. She couldn’t tell this early. “But the police work is demanding too… different… but demanding.” She knew that because she’d spent any time with Cooper. It was impossible to live with an officer and not know how demanding it was, at least to some degree.

--------------------
Ianthe StuartTeagan LandryUriah SuttonFrankie NazarroSabrina HarrisonSeraphim DrakeBlake Gutierrez
PM
^
Arturo Reyes
 Posted: Jun 15 2018, 02:48 PM
Townie
Asa

“It reminded me that I am not young anymore.” had he been sore for long? Yes, longer than expected and for a time his wife had tried to insist he go and see a doctor. He was certainly not old, but too old to be falling that hard on his ass. Luckily for him he had made no attempt to catch himself and just got out of his own way and let himself fall. People who tried to catch themselves were the ones who broke ankles.

“I knew the car well enough, I think, that I could tell how fast I was going without the speedometer.” he shrugged, not as confident about that as he was letting on. Would have been embarrassing to get pulled over for speeding, “I noticed a lot of people here walking places,” he nodded, “definitely a sign of a small town.” he had patrolled enough close knit communities to know that when people lived close to, or in, town and felt safe with the low crime rates, they tended to be more comfortable walking everywhere they needed to get. Arturo didn’t think he would see much action here, maybe a good place to settle down and enjoy his later years, unless his son planned on being a bigger pain in the ass than he expected. He was glad she had a car now, though, if not for the kid than to bring groceries home, that had to be a hassle without a vehicle.

“It was, I called every night, though, had to tell the kids goodnight at least.” of course he and Tina had been separated for a bit before the move, it was mostly not seeing his son and daughter that was hardest, especially when he was so close with Claudia and so worried about Vincent. A boy needed his father around to keep him in line, it had weighed heavily on Arturo the whole time he was separated from his family, “Oh, good,” it was nice to hear when people volunteered their time for others, it was doing the Lord’s work as far as Arturo was concerned, “you make a difference, it is greatly appreciated.” he approved, “It is demanding work, maybe not physically, but mentally … sometimes she comes home and is very … quiet.” she never wanted to talk about it, couldn’t really, it was all in confidence, kind of like a lawyer, “It can be, it is mostly frustrating, I put the bad people away, then a month later they get released and I arrest them again.” they never learned, it was rare not to have someone who offended repeatedly, “Sometimes they get better, most of the time, they do not.” at least he wasn’t a beat cop, that job was pretty damn dangerous, “I do not think I could work the streets again, when I was LAPD I was on the streets every day, very dangerous, my car got shot once, while I was driving it,” he shrugged in confusion, “no idea who, or why, we never found out.” sounded like some punk kid who found his daddy’s gun and wanted to be able to brag to his friends about shooting up a cop car. Whoever it was they had no intentions of killing him, the bullet holes were all in the right rear quarter panel and wheel well. Arturo just hoped whoever it was, he got it out of his system and stayed straight the rest of his life, but he kind of doubted it, “I feel less hated here.” less of a target, really.

--------------------
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Jun 17 2018, 12:39 PM
Townie
Jaya

Falling on the ice reminded him that he was not young anymore. “Well that’s not a fun lesson.” Not a bad one, but not fun. No one wanted to learn that they’d grown up. Seraphim was in an odd position, having spent most of the last half decade without memories of her childhood, her adolescence. Young adulthood. It was all gone, jump starting her in her mid to late twenties with only blackness behind. She had to accept that she was an adult, even if she was still on the young side. She knew she wasn’t as young now though. She knew. Having a little daughter was her biggest reminder there. One day she might have to turn around and realize she was too old to chase her dreams too. That wasn’t going to be fun for anyone.

He knew his car enough to not be speeding, according to him. That was good. He also remarked that the walking around was a sign of a small town. “Right. Not a super rural town though… where its too far to walk because everyone is five miles apart. I like it though. You can talk to more people.” And Seraphim did, if it wasn’t obvious, really like talking to people. Although she didn’t really think about it, groceries had certainly been less convenient. Fortunately she only bought things that she could carry. It kept her active, and kept her food fresh. Carrying a jug of milk all the way home wasn’t the best though.

On the subject of Arturo’s wife, they got into him calling home. To talk to his kids. And community service. She came home quiet. “Mmm.” Sera had things to safe, but she didn’t want to. Quiet generally wasn’t good. Quiet meant your head was buzzing with things and you didn’t want to let them out. For yourself or for others.

It is mostly frustrating, I put the bad people away, then a month later they get released and I arrest them again.

The bad people… mmm.” She found a spot on the floor to watch. Bad people. She knew people who would have been called bad. It was so… subjective. She’d broken the law for years, but it wasn’t to hurt anyone. Knew people who broke the law, but it also wasn’t to hurt anyone. And then there was… her history. And Cooper’s reaction. He broke the law, to put a “bad person” away. And it worked out, she supposed, but… it was so complicated. Bad people, putting them away, letting them get out, repeating it. Of course you didn’t want someone sitting around doing the same thing to people but… it just wasn’t how her mind worked. It wasn’t built to work that way.

She looked back to him, eyes wider as she blinked in surprise. His car getting shot at, just randomly. He felt less hated here. She tapped her fingers against the machine. “People make really dumb choices sometimes… Its good not to be hated. My um… Lainey’s father,” a better version, “he got shot once. Giving out a ticket. Or the goal was to give out a ticket. I don’t think it ever made sense… how people react. Its like your going against a system, but really its just people and… a ticket isn’t the end of the world. I don’t know how you’d be so unhappy about something to shoot at a stranger. I guess some people do though…Obviously.It has always seemed pretty safe here though. I’m glad you like it. I hope you do not get shot at here either.

--------------------
PM
^
Arturo Reyes
 Posted: Jun 25 2018, 03:17 AM
Townie
Asa

Arturo had proven one thing in his childhood between living on his father’s ranch and in Mexico City when he was attending school, he was resilient and adaptable. Whether it be sprawling countryside where the next nearest neighbor was miles away, or the city where people literally lived on top of each other in apartment buildings and there was always noise from the crowds and traffic outside his windows it had never taken him long at all to settle in. Things just didn’t bother him, ever. The sights, sounds, smells all changed and within a few days he was sleeping soundly, working out a set schedule and pretty soon it was as if he had lived there his whole life. Changing districts from Stamford to Lochland Grove had been a challenge what with needing to memorize a whole new set of radio codes he had only stumbled a few times since the move, much to the amazement of others,
“I could live anywhere.” he shrugged honestly. Some people claimed they liked being alone but preferred to go and socialize every now and then to keep themselves sane. Arturo honestly didn’t know how he would fare being alone for an extended period of time. It had been hard living in LA without his family while awaiting his transfer to Connecticut. That, he couldn’t deny.

She seemed a bit put off by the mention of “bad people” and Arturo thought a moment, his sleep deprived brain doing some half assed search for something to say, something to perhaps clarify,
“The really bad people … I do not arrest people for traffic violations like a regular cop. The people I arrest do not belong in the general public with normal people. I believe in second chances, but not for people like that.” and they would sometimes get additional chances to try their hand at behaving themselves and many of them failed, sadly at the expense of another. Detective Reyes was never surprised when he found himself arresting a man for murder who had just gotten out of a long stint in prison for the same damn thing. Once a murderer, always a murderer. He had a firm stance on that.

An almost pained grunt escaped him when she mentioned the father of her child, who remained nameless he noted, had been shot giving out a traffic ticket. It wasn’t necessarily a physical response as much as it was emotional, he knew plenty of officers who had been shot doing exactly that. Those poor guys working the beat seldom made enough money to deal with the shit they had to deal with. He wondered if that had been here in Lochland. He was hoping, sort of, that it was a sleepy little town and he wouldn’t have to worry about crazy people too much. On the other hand, it would get boring rather quickly for a detective used to working the heavily crime ridden city of Los Angeles,
“A lot of officers get shot that way, unfortunately.” it paid to always be on guard, always be prepared for what could happen, what would happen, “Usually it is not over the ticket, sometimes it is, but usually it is because they have a suspended license, they have a warrant, they have drugs in the car, they could be on probation and a ticket might mean they have to go back to jail and ironically … sometimes they are nervous because they have a gun, so it makes sense to use it, to shoot the officer, for some reason.” he shrugged with a heavy sigh and shake of his head. People were so reactionary, “I hope it hit his vest, at least?” or were they speaking of the man without a name and in past tense because, that bullet had killed him? He hoped not.

--------------------
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Jun 26 2018, 10:08 PM
Townie
Jaya

Arturo could live anywhere. “That’s probably good.” Not that he needed to move, but being versatile was a positive trait, yes? He could want to live near his family, and let the rest of the variables change as necessary. She found it respectable. Of course the subject of bad people was so much more complicated. He went ahead and tried to elaborate on the subject of bad people. He was not in the usual realm for these things. He clearly held “bad people” in low regard. That made sense, she supposed. He would have felt that the man Cooper went to jail because of was a “bad person.” Still, she didn’t feel good about what had happened. Maybe that was a flaw. Not having the “by any means necessary” clause in her conscience. Maybe it made her naïve, but she could live with herself this way.

For better or worse, Sera mentioned Cooper’s injury. It was met with a noise from Arturo. He explained his stance. A lot of officers were shot that way. She frowned. She had nothing against him, she just didn’t like this. The trivializing, the normalizing. You have a thing for cops someone had once said, No, I do not, she had said back. She didn’t. She had no more attraction to a cop than any other man. Police officers had no more romantic pull than anyone else to her. In fact, she would have believed the opposite. If she were to date again, she did not want the drama. She did not want the fear. She could not clearly remember the events of Cooper’s injury, but she sure as hell could remember the feeling. It sank into her skin the moment she’d remembered even a second of that day.

It was unfortunate than a person could not untangle their emotions from someone just because it was healthy or convenient. Least of all if they shared offspring. Life was just unfair that way, perhaps. Inconvenient, in any case. “… For some reason…” It was a poor topic. Nothing to gain. No good to come. Seraphim was already feeling the weight of such a stupid comment. Why bring it up? What was wrong with her? She felt her chest tightening.

I hope it hit his vest, at least?

He was very much alive, but… “No.” This was a bad topic. She ran her finger up and down the bridge of her nose. Distress. She could feel the fraying of her nerves. Memories. Feelings. Fear. She really ought to stop. “It’s a poor topic, I apologize. It merely crossed my mind.

--------------------
PM
^
Arturo Reyes
 Posted: Jul 2 2018, 10:43 AM
Townie
Asa

Yes, for some reason. Whatever reason, it was never a good enough reason, there was never a good reason as far as he was concerned, to shoot a cop on a simple traffic stop. He had some pretty brutal memories involving his coworkers in law enforcement, things that haunted him and it always involved some officer who was young, nice in person, married, had a kid, whatever. No matter who it was the feeling was always the same when they received that call over the radio of an 11-99.

A deep inhale filled the quiet between them as he asked if the bullet had struck the officer in question’s vest, or had it missed? There was always that instance where the lead managed to actually penetrate the kevlar, too. Her answer seemed to indicate it was something she didn’t want to talk about and what followed only solidified that fact. He shrugged with indifference at her apology, it was nothing to be sorry about, so he changed the subject,
“When will Lainey start school?” maybe a happier subject, he didn’t know how old she was so it was a good question he felt like. Arturo remembered when his daughter began kindergarten, it was a proud moment for him, still had the Polaroid from that day as she smiled back at him from the garage door, about to hop into the family’s Isuzu Rodeo with her little bookbag on one shoulder and a smile on her face as she donned a new outfit and shoes. She had been so excited but he knew that would change once she realized she would have responsibilities as a student and her teachers as well as her parents would have expectations of her, “We were sure, our daughter would be great in school, she was great at home, very respectful, had good manners, was well behaved … her kindergarten teacher told us a week later that she was a terror, a terror.” he laughed at the thought of a five year old, soft spoken little girl being a terror, “My son was opposite, good in school, bad at home.” was still bad at home, "They turned out okay."

--------------------
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 12:48 AM
Townie
Jaya

Cooper had lived through the injury, but it was certainly an injury. It left a lasting mark on his body and a mark on Seraphim’s emotions. Maybe not her memory, but she still carried the feeling. Like the scars down her arms, he had that as a reminder that life was not something to be naively optimistic about. She would much rather he have a boring desk job, wear his glasses, and be home on his days off. He had other things in mind. Probably among the reasons that they were not together.

Arturo was polite enough to change the subject. What did Lainey start school? “Oh… depends on the level. She’s in day care right now, most days of the week. She’s nearly two, so I guess three more years before kindergarten, and she’d stay in the local day care until that time. Its nice… the owner took the time to get to know her because she’s so particular and it made it easier. I guess she likes to have someone to latch onto emotionally.

He went on to explain about his own kids. His daughter was good at home and not at school, the reverse for his son. She chuckled, not feeling so bad for oversharing then. “Lainey really is a good kid… as long as she likes you. I’m not sure if she will like her kindergarten teacher or not… if they will take the time to bond with her. She doesn’t form bonds easily, but she’s quite loyal once she likes you. But its more time than she’s been alive, before she’ll be in kindergarten, so maybe she will have drastically changed by then. You never know. Hard to really tell at her age…I didn’t even know how particular she was until she met her father… but that sounds like a weird thing to say to you.

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply