September 2016 Featured RPG
October 2016 Featured RPG
November 2016 Featured RPG
February 2017 Featured RPG
March 2017 Featured RPG

PLOT & RULES | MEMBER GROUPS | GETTING STARTED | REGISTRATION
Have You Read the Newspaper?
You can read the latest edition Here

Something tasty this way comes. Enjoy the food Festival with the family, take the kids to the Kids Corner, or flash your Legal ID and enjoy drinking responsible at the Beer Festival.

Did you hear about the fight in front of August Whitmore?

Welcome to Lochland Grove
Open Since January 2nd, 2014

We are a Real Life Roleplay site focused on enriching character driven stories through events, newspaper headlines, and even death. Set in modern day Connecticut, our background plot follows the on-goings of a small town with a murderous past. Whether your character explores it is up to you. Life is about choice - this is your story. Our goal is to provide a place where you will feel comfortable writing it.

Come join the fun!

Food & Beer Festival

So many foods, so little time. Enjoy stomach-filling activities with the kids or bring your ID for a Beer sampling adventure!

St Patrick's Day Bar Crawl

A Camp Ground, Big Tents, Irish Entertainment, and Alcohol? Party!

CLAIMS | ADOPTABLES | CREDITS | ADVERTISING | AFFILIATION

Site News

April 27th
May Announcements are out!

April 17th
We need your help! Click Here

April 16th
Little Halloween is coming. We want your input

Chatbox

Voting

Thank You ♥

RPG Initiative Topsites

Shadowplay Topsites

Staff

Admin

Kat

Head Mod

Mods

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

It's My Life, Tag: Seraphim Drake
Jaina Carter
 Posted: Mar 6 2017, 03:40 PM
Stranger
Knightshade

Jaina hadn't been in Lochland Grove for long, but she had already formed a morning routine on the days that she worked at Gertie's. She woke up early, helped her son, Bowie, get cleaned up and dressed, did the same for herself, and made them both breakfast before she took Bowie to day care, making sure he had a healthy snack to eat. Then it was on to work for her. She made her way into the diner, clocked in, put her apron and name badge on, washed her hands, and then it was straight to her assigned tables... and that was of course when the chaos began.

Well, it wasn't really chaos when she was just dealing with the regulars. She knew the drill by now, and most of them seemed to know the drill. As with Jaina's early morning, it was all routine - take the order, enjoy a little idle chat, serve the food, check for drink refills, clean up, and hope for a nice tip. But now and then, a tourist or non-regular townsfolk came in and tried to give her trouble. A couple from out of town was trying to do that just now.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't sell Quiche Lorraine here," she said. "We have a great omelet if you're interested, but no quiche."

"I'm sure your cooks have the ingredients for it," sighed the husband. "Just have him look up the recipe, and make it, and I'll pay for it."

"Sir, with all due respect, this is the breakfast rush," she said. "Right now the cooks don't have the time to learn how to make a new..."

"Just be a good girl and tell them," said the husband in a condescending tone. Jaina's face began to turn red.
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Mar 9 2017, 09:28 PM
Newcomer
Jaya

Seraphim had moved to Lochland Grove already three years ago. She had been working at Gertie’s for approximately the same amount of time. Initially Seraphim had to work out a deal with the owners so that she could get paid in cash only. Most of her money came from tips, and since she didn’t even know her legal name, she couldn’t really cash any checks. In the time since her move to Lochland Grove, she had found out her legal name, gotten a new name tag at work, and went from barely being able to afford her rent sleeping on the floor of her apartment, to knowing that if she managed her money, she didn’t actually need to work anymore. It was a strange feeling, knowing that what had been necessary, was now her choice. This stability brought with it a certain sense of calm in stressful situations. Knowing that she was choosing to be in a situation, not because she had to be there.

Seraphim usually worked during the normal daytime hours so that while she worked her daughter was in day care. It was certainly easier than the first few months. Seraphim hadn’t been willing to work much when she had gone back in, and she had to find someone to babysit for every shift. Maybe that contributed to her daughter’s picky nature when it came to bonding with adults. She took a while for each person after about the third person. Knowing she was happily at day care was enough to let Seraphim focus on work, but she got distracted from her own tables when she heard a slightly impatient, but passive conversation taking place nearby.

Looking over, Sera saw Jaina, the new waitress, looking red and possibly a bit mortified. Only a bit. Sera had filled out her latest ticket and put it in to the cooks in the kitchen before turning around to see what was going on with Jaina. “Hello folks,” she looked over toward Jaina, standing closer to her, “need anything?

[Outfit]

--------------------
Ianthe StuartTeagan LandryUriah SuttonFrankie NazarroSabrina HarrisonSeraphim Drake
Tracker - Heterosexual - Waitress at Gertie's - Apartment
PM
^
Jaina Carter
 Posted: Mar 9 2017, 11:00 PM
Stranger
Knightshade

Jaina was biting her tongue. If someone was cool with her, she was cool with them. However, her earlier life had put a temper into her. She was on the verge of going off on people who wanted a menu item that they did not have. Why couldn't she get that through their heads?

The choice words were on the tip of her tongue when her co-worker, Sera, stepped over and asked if Jaina needed anything. She was about to mutter "a new section to wait on" when the husband made himself know again.

"Excuse me, Ma'am," he said in an annoyed tone. "But could you explain to this other waitress that it doesn't take a lot of effort to go to the kitchen and tell the cook to look up a recipe for Quiche Lorraine. My wife and I are more than willing to pay whatever it takes for it, but we must have it. We sit together and eat Quiche Lorraine once a week."

Jaina sighed.

"Sir, I'm sorry, but we don't have that item on the me..." she said.

"You've said that already, and I know that," said the husband. Jaina blushed again and looked to Sera, hoping she could help.
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Mar 17 2017, 05:16 PM
Newcomer
Jaya

Well, that was certainly a very… specific thing to do once a week. Sit and eat Quiche Lorraine. Sera felt like that might be something she’d eaten before, but not since she moved to Lochland Grove. Certainly not in Gertie’s. She would not say that the diner was classless, it was lovely, but it was a diner. They prided themselves on a certain atmosphere. Filled with locals, and tourists. Something that would give people who lived here the feeling of home, and people that didn’t, the feeling of what home felt like here. It wasn’t a really complicated thing, but it was its own thing.

Besides, who really expected to go into a place and dictate that the cooks make something not on the menu? They were not just paying for the ingredients, they were paying for a portion of the wait staff and the cook’s time. They could make requests, but not demands. Knowing some of the cooks, Sera already knew how well a demand would go over. And she didn’t feed her customers anything she knew was tainted. She wasn’t that kind of person, but some people would argue customers sometimes deserved it.

When Seraphim asked if anyone needed help, mostly directed to Jaina, the man explaned the situation. Could she explain to Jaina that Jaina should be doing what he wanted? Uh, well, she could, but she wouldn’t. Jaina tried to speak for herself, and the man cut her off again.

Well, Jaina is more than capable of understanding Gertie’s policies, and being your intermediary to the cooks. However, she cannot tell the cooks to make anything. They work with the menu based on what they’re capable and willing to make for customers in a timely fashion, and we order ingredients to supply those specific menu items. The menu is only as extensive as it is so they feel that it fits within the atmosphere of the diner, and so that they can ensure the quality. You can request certain alterations on a menu item, and Jaina can check to see if the cooks are willing and have time to make said alterations, but you cannot just order something not on the menu. Unfortunately we are not set up for just making items entirely at request.

There was also the issue of timing. It wouldn’t have changed Sera’s answer though, or her tone. She was calm, smiling gently, looking between Jaina and the man, then to his wife, without any sense of nervousness or discomfort. If he wanted to argue, he could, if he wanted to complain, he would. IT wouldn’t change the level of service he received, and it wouldn’t make Sera take his side over a fellow waitress. Not unless Jaina was in the wrong, and there was no evidence of that.

--------------------
Ianthe StuartTeagan LandryUriah SuttonFrankie NazarroSabrina HarrisonSeraphim Drake
PM
^
Jaina Carter
 Posted: Mar 17 2017, 09:17 PM
Stranger
Knightshade

Jaina was both relieved and a bit embarrassed that Sera had came up with a far better way of explaining the reason why the couple couldn't get what they wanted. While she felt that Sera would really get it through their heads... or hopefully would anyway, she felt bad that she couldn't have spoken as well as Sera did. She was too busy trying to keep from yelling at the two irritating people to really think on what to say.

When Sera had finished, the husband threw his arms up in the air.

"Well... why couldn't she just say that?" he sighed. "We'll have the bacon omelet breakfasts with orange juice and coffee, and wheat for the toast." Jaina mustered up every bit of calm inside her and wrote down the order.

"I'll get that out to you as soon as possible," she said.

When she was out of sight of the couple and had given the order to the cooks, she leaned against the counter for a moment. She wanted to rub her eyes, but that meant she would need to wash and sanitize her hands again, and she did that enough in one day.

"I really wish we could just get the usuals in here this early," she said.
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Mar 18 2017, 12:17 PM
Newcomer
Jaya

Seraphim had no way of knowing if the couple was going to take her comments and accept them, or if they would argue. She’d never met them before, and she could only be the best waitress she knew how to be, and hope. Fortunately when the man threw up his arms, it was a good thing. He was annoyed with Jaina, apparently but he seemed to accept the comment. Maybe it would help Seraphim parent better in the future. Being able to use her words to explain a situation so Lainey didn’t eventually just get upset at being told “because I said so.” Seraphim rarely said things like that, but if she did, it was because she couldn’t articulate her feelings very well.

The man made their order, and the wife didn’t have anything to say. Seraphim wondered if she was quite as emphatic about them needing this meal, or if it was something her husband felt most strongly about. She could see it going either way, but they weren’t her table, so she didn’t ask. She bid goodbye and went to check on her own tables before heading back to get a couple of refills. She was slightly derailed by one of the regulars stopping to ask about the movie he’d told her to watch the night before. She knew he’d ask, so she did watch it. It took another minute to get by the kitchen, do refills, and come back.

Hey,” Seraphim said, stopping by Jaina, “How’re things going?” not that she felt Jaina was incompetent, she just wanted to check on her. Rude customers were a real downer.

--------------------
PM
^
Jaina Carter
 Posted: Mar 19 2017, 09:50 PM
Stranger
Knightshade

It really wasn't just the rude customers. Yes, when they came in, they were extremely stress-causing. However, on top of them, Jaina had slept very little as of late. She worked hard at the diner, sometimes doing double shifts if she could get someone to watch her son. And then there was her second job as a single mom. She loved Bowie. Her son was her life, and she was the one there to take care of him when he was sick, to read his bedtime stories, and to hold him in the middle of the night when he had a nightmare. No one could do those things at the time, and Jaina was fine with that. But she worked almost beyond her limits at times, and it was coming back on her.

Jaina turned when Seraphim asked how things were going.

"Fine..." she sighed. "Just a rude customer. I'm... used to them." She let out a yawn. "And... I mean... they don't come in all the time."

Her eyes then widened a bit.

"Oh no... did I make an appointment for Bo's check-up?" she said. "Wait... yes I did, yesterday morning, and asked for that day off. Just forgot..." She rubbed her eyes and sighed a bit.
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Mar 22 2017, 09:54 AM
Newcomer
Jaya

Ever since Sera even knew that she was pregnant, her financial security had changed, but her stress nearly never came from work. She didn’t ever get too riled up from rude customers. It was one of her most polite customers that her gotten under her skin. But considering he had stayed in the diner for hours, only to leave when she got off her shift… well, she thought he was rather alarming for longer lasting reasons. He had seemed to disappear ever since the night she was given pepper spray, but she wasn’t sure if that was actually comforting. Just up and gone. Seraphim’s life was in order at least, and any amount of sleep deprivation on her end was not because of her schedule, it was her mind. It had a different feeling to it, but Jaina looked entirely like her stress was external. Things imposed on her, not the worries in her mind. Not that Seraphim had any way to guess that. It just looked like Jaina was tired, not internally conflicted.

Jaina said that things were going fine, just a rude customer, she yawned. Then she looked armed, and Seraphim paused, not saying anything. Did she make an appointment for her son’s check up? Yes. Apparently. She rubbed her eyes. “You sure you’re doing alright? You seem very tired… Not that I am trying to pester.” Sera was certainly not someone who pried into other people’s lives, but when it was in front of her, she did worry and feel the need to at least express her concern.

--------------------
PM
^
Jaina Carter
 Posted: Mar 22 2017, 09:24 PM
Stranger
Knightshade

Jaina yawned again. She hated yawning at work. She hated looking like she couldn't give her all at her job. However, she could only hold fatigue off for so long. She was running on next to no sleep, and it was catching up to her.

She turned when Sera said that she looked tired, and said that she was not pestering.

"Oh no, you're fine," she said. "And I've just had a lot of my plate, that's all. I'll probably get some sleep this evening after I tuck Bo in." Was that really true though, or would she be up half the night working on bills, making plans for her son, and then being up bright and early to get Bo ready for day care and then going off to work. That had been the routine after all.

"My break's soon," she said. "I'll grab a cup of coffee, and I should be good for the rest of the shift then." Another yawn. Her plates had arrived for one of the tables and she took them out. It was for some friendly locals, and as they chatted the rude fellow spoke up again.

"Hey... um... Miss?" he asked. "Could use more coffee here, and what's keeping our food?"

"It will be out soon, Sir," said Jaina. "And I'll get you some fresh coffee once I take care of these good folks."

"Well don't take all morning please," sighed the man. Jaina then suddenly turned on the man.

"I am one person, Sir!" she snapped. "I will be with you as soon as I can!" The man shut his mouth and he and his wife looked at her in awe as she walked away. Jaina then realized she snapped and rubbed her eyes. "Great, I probably just got myself in trouble..."
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Mar 24 2017, 09:43 PM
Newcomer
Jaya

Yawning was contagious for some reason, but Sera was happy that Jaina’s yawning didn’t start her off yawning too. She hated working tired, especially since she hadn’t properly had caffeine in over a year now. She was not sure how hyper she would get if she downed an energy drink, but she still had a few in her fridge from someone else. Jaina said that Sera was not bothering her. She said that she was going to get coffee on her break, and she would sleep that evening once she tucked her son in.

Okay… I hope so. If you need any help in the evening, so you can get sleep, let me know,” Seraphim told her. Sera had things she needed to do when she wasn’t working. Lainey, exercise, chores, and relationships with other adults. She did ocassionally still babysit her neighbor’s kids though. She’d been watching them off and on for the last four years, so it would be weird to just completely stop. Even though she had things that filled her time, she couldn’t help but offer to assist when she saw someone struggling. Jaina probably wouldn’t ask for help, and she probably thought she had things under control. Sera couldn’t really tell, but her offer was genuine, and how upset could people really get when you just wanted to show them that you were willing to help if they wanted it? Well, they could get really annoyed sometimes, but Sera was an optimist, so it was probably going to be fine.

What was less fine, was the customer getting on Jaina’s nerves. Jaina took plates out to her customers, and the couple she’d been having trouble with earlier asked for coffee and for their food. Jaina handled it fine the first time, but the second time the man simply asked for it not to take all morning and Jaina snapped. Seraphim’s eyes widened in horror. Oh goodness, don’t say that… Jaina looked tired and was rubbing her eyes, still trying to handle her other table.

Seraphim considered rushing over to the table and seeing if she could just get coffee for them, but she thought better of it. She had stepped in to explain things, and now if she stepped in again it was going to seem like she thought Jaina was incompetent. She wasn’t… but the case could be made after any outburst at a customer. The owner was lenient at least, and Sera hoped that he would be in a good mood when any complaints were filed to him. Maybe the customers would just be offended and leave… although that didn’t mean it wouldn’t get mentioned again. Sera checked in with all of her tables quickly, feeling a bit more stressed, but looking calm and pleasant as she made sure they were not unsettled by the going ons. Usually locals would side with locals, whether they were employees or customers, so Sera heard a comment about how people should just slow down.

Well, Josh,” Seraphim said to a middle aged man that she knew was going to go back to his shop after he finished eating, “people probably should slow down, but its not my place to judge them. Probably not yours either,” she reminded him gently, smiling a bit so he knew she wasn’t trying to insult him. She continued her back and forth between the kitchen and her customers, not loitering in one place too terribly long.

--------------------
PM
^
Jaina Carter
 Posted: Mar 27 2017, 06:10 PM
Stranger
Knightshade

Jaina smiled when Sera offered to help. It was nice that she could call a co-worker a friend as well. She did feel that about Sera.

"Thanks, but I'm okay," she said. "Once I pick up Bowie at the day care, he brings my energy back up. Best part of my day is seeing his happy face."

Jaina felt like the world was frozen around her as she wanted to see how the customer would reply. Would he get up and file a complaint? Would he just walk out with his wife? Right now, the man looked to just be in shock. Jaina tensed up when he finally opened his mouth to speak. However, his wife managed to jump in before he could.

"Miss, I'm terribly sorry for my husband's behavior," she said. "We just went through a terrible loss in the family, and we're on edge. He shouldn't take it out on you."[ She looked at her husband. "Sweetheart, apologize."

"Yeah..." sighed the man. "Sorry." Jaina then called down as well.

"It's alright," she said. "I understand the stress of losing someone close, believe me. However, I will get everything to you as soon as I can."

"Please, take your time, dear," said the wife. Jaina took a deep breath and stepped away, giving Sera a "that was close" look.
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Mar 28 2017, 10:28 PM
Newcomer
Jaya

Jaina tried to sooth Sera’s worries. She would be okay when she picked up her son. It was the highlight of his face, and he gave her energy. While it was good that she perked up when she saw her son, that didn’t actually put fuel in her tank. Parents could not live off children’s energy alone. In fact, it was certainly not unheard of for a children’s energy to just tire a parent out. Still, seeing her son was probably just shaking the fuel box to get the last few drops out. Sera knew it could make it worthwhile, and easier to push through, but that didn’t mean it stopped being a push.

That’s good,” she told Jaina, leaving it there.

Seraphim could empathize, sort of, with people trying to struggle through a loss. Most people could sympathize, and she could at least do that. Her productivity at work had taken more than a hit when she lost her father, but she couldn’t really remember that. What she could remember was enough to frustrate her for lacking the rest of the picture. Her productivity at work was gone for a few more reasons soon after that, but that wasn’t important. Being professional was key, or else you should not be at work. The reason was that people could be extra on edge and act out of character, or at least out of the realm of the ”appropriate.” Jaina, as far as Sera knew, was just stressed. She had no idea why, but it was clear she was tired, and running herself ragged. It could be a million little things, mixed with some bigger ones, but in the end, customers didn’t really… care. What made it worse was that the person currently struggling with a loss was their customer. Sera was horrified initially, but this made it worse.

Some terrible loss in the family, but at least the wife was understanding. Maybe because they were so biased toward negativity right now, they assumed that Jaina wasn’t being that much. Having a broken scale could work in both ways. Either way, the man apologized, and Jaina was able to sidestep looking bad. Good. Good for Jaina, Gertie’s, and Seraphim’s worrying heart. Not that it was a “win” that the man had a reason for being snippy besides just being a rude person, but Sera returned the look with both eyebrows raised. Crisis averted, hopefully.

--------------------
PM
^
Jaina Carter
 Posted: Apr 1 2017, 06:23 PM
Stranger
Knightshade

Jaina smiled again, thinking of her precious Bowie. When Sera said that was good, she nodded in agreement.

"Yeah," she said. And that was really all she could add.

As Jaina went to grab the couple's food, she let out a big sigh of relief. She didn't like popping off at anyone like that. She wasn't an angry person. It was just that at times, some could get to her. Even though the matter was resolved, she hoped she didn't look bad in front of the rest of the staff and her regulars who had usually showed Jaina respect.

"That was close," she said to Sera once she had a chance to talk to her. "Sorry about getting upset like that. I think maybe the lack of sleep is getting to me."

Once the couple was taken care of, Jaina went on her coffee break. She sat at a table in the corner and put some cream and sugar in her cup. Jaina was usually a healthy eater, but coffee was a bit of a vice for her, mainly because it helped keep her as perky as possible. She grabbed her phone was about to call about an appointment for Bowie when she remembered once again that she had made it already.
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Apr 3 2017, 07:04 PM
Newcomer
Jaya

Sera hadn’t said much, but they seemed amicably agreed. Customer service was a job that required finesse. A lot of finesse. Now, there was not magical bit of charm that took a person from what someone considered “standard” percentage tip, to what someone considered a lot. The difference in an individual tip from poor to great was like a dollar anyway. Seraphim didn’t sit and try to recall the bill of each person and figure out what percentage they deemed her worthy of. If it was 10% she didn’t consider it an insult, if it was 20%, she didn’t consider her life changed. In her experience, waitresses and waiters, or as some people might call them, servers, took things more personally than customers. That seemed strange, considering customers dealt with wait staff much less frequently than the other way around. It could wear a person down though, being scrutinized and graded on an ever more vague scale with each encounter.

Sera could understand why Jaina would snap, she just hated to see it. Fortunately, as per experience, the wife seemed to take it less personally, and things worked out. Jaina got a moment away and Sera found her nearby.

She lamented how close it was, then apologized. “Oh, its nothing to me… well, its no slight against me. I was just worried about you. I can definitely tell the sleep deprivation is getting to you. You can make it through the shift though. Downhill from here, right?” she wanted to be encouraging. Honestly, could it get any worse?

When she noticed Jaina had a break, Sera took over a bit more. It was busy enough hat Sera could not take a break, although she did get one of the girls who had been there nearly as long as Sera, and got her to cover for a few minutes. Sera took the last of some sweet potato fries off a finished plate and ate them in the break room before checking on Jaina. “Hey, honey, how are you holding up?” Sera asked, mentally acknowledging that there had been a bit too much alliteration in her question.

--------------------
PM
^
Jaina Carter
 Posted: Apr 4 2017, 08:52 PM
Stranger
Knightshade

Sera was right. It wasn't just an occasion lack of sleep that Jaina was suffering from. It was flat-out sleep deprivation, and it was getting to her. It was almost funny how Jaina tried to live so healthy. She ate right, she exercised, and of course she saw to it that Bowie did as well. But was all that going to do her any good if she didn't lay down and get herself some sleep?

"I'll make it through I think," she said. "And I'm scheduled off tomorrow. I'll... try to catch up on some sleep before Bo wakes up. On the days he's home with me, he pops up ready to start the day. There's no stopping him from there." Jaina chuckled at that.

When Sera came over later and asked how she was holding up, Jaina took a sip of her coffee.

"I'm doing alright," she said. "The coffee's helping." She was about to yawn, but stopped herself. She then looked at Sera curiously. "Sera, how do you do it? I mean, balance it all the way you do? Lord knows I try to, but sometimes I do feel like it's too much. It's almost like I'm working three jobs - this one, being a mom, and then taking care of everything else in my life."
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll