PLOT & RULES FAQ | MEMBER GROUPS | GETTING STARTED | REGISTRATION
Lochland AM/FM Radio is on the air
Have you heard the latest? Click Here

Traffic on Route 10? Wet Fireworks? Problems for the Charity Ball? Have you listened to Lochland AM Radio lately?

Missed the last broadcast?
Lochland AM Radio 1
Lochland AM Radio 2
106.3 The Bounce
Weather Warning

Welcome to Lochland Grove
Open since January 2, 2014

We are a Real Life Roleplay site focused on enriching character driven stories through events, newspaper headlines, and even death. Set in modern day Connecticut, our background plot follows the on-goings of a small town with a murderous past. Whether your character explores it is up to you. Life is about choice - this is your story. Our goal is to provide a place where you will feel comfortable writing it. Come join the fun!

Have you read the Newspaper?
You can read it Here

Preparations for the 5th Annual Charity Ball are almost finished. The newly renovated Red Vines Winery is excited to host, opening not only its doors on the 11th but its newly created winelist.

The 2018 Pride Parade is the 30th. Whether you are part of the LGBTQ or an Ally, wear your rainbow and come out to support the community.

CLAIMS | ADOPTABLES | CREDITS | ADVERTISING | AFFILIATION

Site News

August 8th
The Activity Check is over!

August 1st
Activity Check Time!

July 29th
July Announcements!

Chatbox

Staff

Admin

Kat

Head Mod

Mods

Add Reply
New Poll

Feeding The Imagination, Tag: Rachel Hyde
Andie Walker
 Posted: Jun 24 2018, 01:03 PM
Townie
Shade

Diana was only in Kindergarten, but Andie wanted her to read at as high a level as possible, being an avid reader herself. So, whenever she could, she took Diana to the Public Library, and let her check out a couple of books. Today was a perfect day for it. She had one of her two days away from the comics shop, and it was a beautiful day to be out. Diana had also gotten over a recent sore throat a bit as well. Andie was thankful for that. The sore throat was a mild one, but Diana was her world, so it worried her a good bit. Just to be safe, she packed her some children's throat drops.

Andie walked in with Diana, who waved at some of the librarians she knew from past visits. They then stepped over to the children's book section and began looking around.

"Okay, love," said Andie. "What are we checking out today? Dr. Seuss or fairy tales?"

"Can we get Harry Potter?" said Diana.

"Harry Potter?" chuckled Andie. "I think you might not be ready to read Harry Potter yet."

"But you let me watch the movies," said Diana.

"Hmmm, good point," said Andie. "Well, maybe I'll check out the first book and we'll read it together. How's that?"

"Okay," said Diana with a smile.

PM
^
Rachel Hyde
 Posted: Jun 26 2018, 08:04 AM
Stranger
Kate

Rachel had only been working in the library for a little over two months now, but she had soon become to notice who the regulars were. And that was nice. She liked to think that even in this day and age that libraries were still popular. Books weren't going out of fashion just yet! Nothing could beat the feel of a physical book in your hands. She'd never gotten into reading books on a tablet or mobile device, it just wasn't the same.

Working in the children's section was always one of her favourite parts of the job. It was lovely to see young children getting enthusiastic about books and reading. It was better than seeing them glued to video games 24/7. So she smiled when she saw a little girl and her mother, both whom she recognised from previous visits but had not really spoken to them much yet. She couldn't help but overhear how keen the girl was to read Harry Potter, despite her young age. You could never be too young to like Harry Potter! Rachel happened to be a big fan and was proud to be of the generation that had actually grown up with the books and bought them as soon as they'd come out.

"Did I hear someone say Harry Potter?" Rachel grinned, "Super fan right here" she chuckled as she brought her gaze up to meet the girl's mother. "I can help you find the books if you like? We usually have a fair few copies of each one" she smiled, motioning in the direction of the correct shelf so she could help them find what they were looking for.

--------------------
PM
^
Andie Walker
 Posted: Jun 26 2018, 05:49 PM
Townie
Shade

Andie and Diana were both familiar with a lot of the librarians who worked there, given how often they visited. So they were quite surprised to see a face they didn't know. However, they were both not ones who were rude to a new person in the community. Andie always showed the proper manners, and she taught Diana to do the same.

"Thank you," said Andie, who then extended her hand. "Andie Walker, owner of Excalibur Comics and shameless plugger of said business. This is my daughter, Diana."

"Nice to meet you," smiled Diana. "And you like Harry Potter too? I love the movies. Ron is my favorite. He's so funny. Mommy made herself an account on Pottermore and let me take the sorting quiz. I got Hufflepuff."

"Took it myself, and got Slytherin,"
chuckled Andie.

"But she's a good Slytherin," said Diana. "She's not like Vol... oops."

"Yep, can't say his name," chuckled Andie. She then looked at the librarian. "I think we're just going to get the Sorcerer's Stone to begin, and then we'll come back for the other books."

The two were obviously very chatty, but Andie wanted to make sure the poor librarian could get a word in as well.
PM
^
Rachel Hyde
 Posted: Jul 3 2018, 01:01 PM
Stranger
Kate

Rachel could already tell that this woman and her daughter were both very polite, well mannered people. It was honestly nice to see, especially when Rachel was still so new to town. In all fairness, everyone she'd met so far had been warm and welcoming, which certainly made settling in that much easier. But she'd only formed a couple of friendships so far. "It's nice to meet you both... I think I've seen you in here before" she smiled, "I'm Rachel. New to town, in case it wasn't obvious from the accent" she laughed, a thick British accent didn't exactly go amiss around here.

As it turned out, Diana seemed to be a big fan of Harry Potter despite her young age. In fact she was rather enthusiastic about it and seemed to know her stuff already. Rachel was impressed. "I'm a Hufflepuff too" she grinned, with some Gryffindor qualities. Was it sad that she'd tried a few different tests online? Probably. But that was just what die hard fans did. She laughed at Andie who admitted to being a Slytherin, "Oh well, someone has to be in Slytherin" she laughed, pretending to look shocked when Diana nearly said Voldemort's name. She gasped lightly, "You mean... he who must not be named?!" she smirked afterwards as they made their way over to where the Harry Potter books were. It took her all of a couple of seconds to locate the first book, bending down slightly to hand it to Diana. "Here you go. I hope you enjoy... it's where all the magic begins. I first read it when I was ten years old... uhh... that's a long time ago now" she chuckled as she looked at Andie. Over twenty years ago now! Gosh, she could barely even imagine a life before Harry Potter now! "And Ron is one of my favourites too. Though I've always had a soft spot for Hagrid" she smiled, he was just such a lovable character.

--------------------
PM
^
Andie Walker
 Posted: Jul 4 2018, 06:16 PM
Townie
Shade

Andie chuckled at Rachel's comment about the accent. Andie had moved to the States from Australia when she was very young, but she still had a hint of the accent in her voice.

"Well, I'm not originally from Lochland Grove myself, but I think I've lived here long enough to bid you welcome to town," she said.

Diana was grinning about Rachel being a Hufflepuff.

"Oh cool," she said. "That means we're house mates." Andie was glad that Diana was using her indoor voice in all the excitement. Andie then smirked about being in Slytherin.

"Well, did you know that Merlin himself was a Slytherin," she said. "We're definitely not all bad."

Diana giggled when Rachel acted shocked about mentioning Voldemort.

"I won't say his whole name," she said. "He might come after me."

Andie smiled as Diana hugged the book. She was so happy that her daughter had such an appreciation for books. She was dreading the day when the kid would have a smart phone or whatever the big thing was when Diana became a teenager.

"But it couldn't have been long ago when you were ten," said Diana. "You look so young and pretty." Andie then played proud Mommy at hearing that compliment.

"I love Hagrid too!" she said. "But he has a mean dog with three heads. I didn't like that dog."
PM
^
Rachel Hyde
 Posted: Jul 17 2018, 09:55 AM
Stranger
Kate

Rachel smiled as Andie welcomed her to the town, "Thank you" she said, wondering where Andie was from because she couldn't quite place the accent just yet. Being British, most American accents just sounded the same to her so she couldn't really work out what state someone might be from. Maybe after time she'd start picking up on things and getting used to the various different accents.

It was cute how happy it seemed to make Diana that they were indeed 'house mates'. "Yes, it does. That means we have to look out for one another" she winked, the girl was very sweet. She looked up at Andie as she mentioned that Merlin had been a Slytherin. "Exactly. It's unfair to assume that all Sytherins are villains," she laughed, not that she exactly knew much about Andie yet but on first impressions she could tell she was a very pleasant woman.

Diana was very sweet, she did hope she wasn't genuinely worried about Voldemort coming after her. It was sometimes hard for small children to separate fact from fiction. She flashed her a bright smile at her compliment, "Aw, that's very kind of you. Trust me, it was a long time ago. But you're never too old to be a Harry Potter fan" she laughed, nodding her head in agreement to the three-headed dog being scary. "Yes, I think Hagrid had a lot of interesting pets" she grinned, it was amazing how much she could still remember even though it had been a while since she'd read the books. "So whereabouts did you live before Lochland?" she asked Andie, deciding to change the subject for a moment.

--------------------
PM
^
Andie Walker
 Posted: Jul 20 2018, 04:17 PM
Townie
Shade

Andie smiled and nodded as Rachel said thank you. It was nice to have been in town long enough to feel like she really belonged there. She wanted others like Rachel to feel that way as well.

Diana grinned and nodded about the two looking out for one another. She was happy to finally meet another Hufflepuff.

"We have Badger pride," she said with a thumbs up to Rachel. Andie then chuckled about how all Slytherins weren't villains.

"And remember not all Gryffindors are heroes," she said. "After all, there was a certain rat among them."

"Oh yeah... him," said Diana. "I didn't like him."

Andie just stood and listened to the two of them converse. She was glad there were good people in the community like Rachel, people who took time out for children.

"I liked the dragon Hagrid had," smiled Diana. "He was so little and cute."

Andie was then asked where they lived.

"Oh, over in East Lochland," she said.

"We have a big house and kitty named Selina Kyle," said Diana. "Mommy and I named her after Catwoman. She's does bad things sometimes, but she also helps Batman sometimes, but our kitty is always nice and likes to play with yarn."

"Well there you are," smiled Andie.
PM
^
Rachel Hyde
 Posted: Jul 22 2018, 08:30 AM
Stranger
Kate

Rachel grinned and gave Diana a thumbs up back, she was such a sweet little girl, she could tell that much already. And Andie seemed to be very warm and welcoming which she appreciated. Plus it helped that they certainly had a common interest as well. That was always good, especially if it did get to a point where you felt like you were stuck for something to say.

She nodded her head at Andie, suddenly she was starting to remember so many things she'd remembered about the series. "You're both making me want to read the books all over again! It's been a while since I did a re-read. It's amazing how many things you pick up on that you didn't remember the first time round" she smiled, it was like reading it all with a new perspective. And of course by knowing how the whole series ended you could look for clues throughout all the books. That was fun. It was just finding the time to read through them all again, especially when there were so many other books she still wanted to read.

Rachel smiled as they explained they lived in East Lochland and then laughed when Diana went on to tell her what they'd named their cat. After catwoman. "Well she sounds very sweet... and has an awesome name" she grinned, "I don't have any pets myself. I think if I had to get one it would be a cat. And I do live on my own so I guess the company would be nice" she smiled, not that she really wanted to end up being a crazy old lady surrounded with cats but the way things were going that was probably going to happen!

--------------------
PM
^
Andie Walker
 Posted: Jul 23 2018, 09:12 PM
Townie
Shade

Andie nodded about reading the Potter series, and it made her think of another of her favorite fantasy authors.

"Have you ever read Rick Riordan?" she asked Rachel. "If you like Harry Potter, I think you'd like his books as well."

"Who's Rick Ri-rordan?" asked Diana.

"He wrote Percy Jackson, my love," said Andie.

"Ooooh him," said Diana. "Yeah, I like him. He's funny when he writes." Andie had recently read Diana Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief.

Diana nodded about Rachel getting a cat. Andie loved how Diana listened to people when the convo interested the girl. She was all into it and nothing could distract her.

"You should get a kitty," she said. "They'll snuggle with you and help wake you up in the morning. Selina Kyle licks my face a lot to wake me up."

"Yes, she's gentle with Diana," chuckled Andie. "She just pounces on me."

"Well, that's because you feed her most of the time," said Diana.

"Fair point," said Andie. She then looked at Rachel. "So, what would you recommend for a young, bright reader like Diana here? Believe me, I am always looking for suggestions. We have a lot of the classics at home, but are of course into more modern stuff."
PM
^
Rachel Hyde
 Posted: Jul 28 2018, 09:47 AM
Stranger
Kate

Rachel smiled at the interaction between Andie and Diana. Diana seemed to be very bright for her age, but Rachel herself had been into books for as long as she could remember and had definitely had an advanced level of reading when she'd been about Diana's age as well. "Actually, no... I've not read his books but I know they're popular" she said with a smile, she wasn't sure she was likely to pick them up now. These days she was probably more into crime and suspense books than fantasy.

A cat in theory seemed like a nice idea, but she feared the reality would be that it would not only end up scratching her but also all her beloved belongings. Maybe a pet wasn't such a good idea after all. But she wasn't going to rule it out completely. "Well if I ever do decide to get a cat then I'll be asking you to help me pick out a name since yours has such a good one" she grinned, she was quite sure Diana would be up for that, she seemed to be rather on the enthusiastic side and that was nice to see. Rachel had been such a quiet child at her age... painfully shy and could barely talk to children her own age never mind adults. Even now she could still feel that way and just want to be in her own little bubble.

She got the impression that Diana was going through books rather quickly, so she wasn't surprised when Andie asked her for some recommendations. She smiled and glanced around the library as if to look for inspiration, but that wasn't too hard, she had a few ideas in mind already. "Hmm... what about Roald Dahl books? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... James and the Giant Peach... Matilda" she reeled off the list, "Gosh, those were my favourites as a kid... especially Matilda, mainly because she was such a huge bookworm like I was" she laughed, though that was all she could relate to her on because unlike Matilda she'd had a loving family.

--------------------
PM
^
Andie Walker
 Posted: Aug 2 2018, 05:56 PM
Townie
Shade

Andie nodded about Riordan being popular.

"Oh, they're huge," she said. "However they didn't have quite the success with their films that Potter did, which is a true shame. I would have loved to see the book series played out on screen properly."

Diana giggled about helping Rachel picked out a name.

"Well, Mommy says if we get another kitty, I can name her any character I want," she said. "You should name your kitty after your favorite character. Do you have a really, really favorite character?"

Roald Dahl was a great idea! Andie wished she had thought of that. Diana seemed excited too.

"Why didn't I think of Dahl?" said Andie. "Thank you so much. What do you say, Diana, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?"

"Yeah!" said Diana. "I love chocolate!"

The thing with Andie was when she met wonderful people like Rachel, she felt she was making a new friend. It was never easy to make new friends in the craziness of New York. She loved making new friends here, and having positive role models for Diana.

"You know, Rachel, since you're new in town, we'd love for you to come over one night for dinner... or go out if you wish," she said. "Sort of a little welcome for you, I suppose. No pressure though."
PM
^
Rachel Hyde
 Posted: Aug 5 2018, 08:29 AM
Stranger
Kate

Rachel nodded her head at Andie, "Books over movies any day though. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Harry Potter films are... fantastic, but the books are just everything" she smiled, and understandably you just couldn't fit absolutely everything into a two hour movie. So of course the movies missed a lot of the detail, but regardless, they were still brilliant.

She smiled as Diana spoke about getting another kitty, she was really very cute. "Ooh, I don't know... well maybe I'd go with Matilda then. I think that'd be a cute name for a cat" she grinned, "Better than Hagrid I suppose, unless it was a big, scruffy cat" she laughed, there had to be someone out there that had named their cat 'Hagrid' though!

Diana seemed to be keen on the idea of reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, "I think you'd like that one. Want me to help you find it? I'm sure we have some copies here" she smiled, Roald Dahl still seemed to remain popular which was nice to see.

Rachel didn't really expect what came next, because quite frankly she just wasn't used to being included in things. It had always been difficult for her to form friendships, but it was even harder in adulthood. Maybe moving out here really was a fresh start for her and it wouldn't hurt to get to know someone else better. So far she was really only friendly with three people. Erin, Charlie, Kieran. Andie was someone she knew she could get on well with. "That's really nice of you. I mean, if it's no trouble? I think I'd like that... thank you" she smiled, she did appreciate someone taking the time to get to know her and for that reason she couldn't exactly say no.

--------------------
PM
^
Andie Walker
 Posted: Aug 7 2018, 05:20 PM
Townie
Shade

Andie sighed, but nodded about books over movies.

"Oh, I agree all the way," she said. "It's just since the movies were as good as they were, Harry Potter got merchandise, a website, theme park attractions, and now the Fantastic Beasts movies spin-offs. The Riordan books are just as amazing as Rowling's, but they really dropped the ball with the films. Percy Jackson could have gotten all of that too. Sorry, fan rant." Andie chuckled a bit.

"Mommy fan rants a lot," said Diana. "It's so funny."

"Thank you, my love," blushed Andie.

"You're welcome, Mommy," smiled Diana.

Diana smiled about Matilda.

"Oh that's a pretty name," she said. "Use that one."

Diana then beamed about Rachel helping her find the book. Andie then smiled about Rachel's agreeing to coming over.

"Brilliant," said Andie. She then grabbed a pen and pad out of her purse, and wrote some info down before handing it to Rachel. "Here is my address and phone number. Tomorrow night sound alright?"

Soon, Andie and Diana had their books and were ready to check out.

"Okay, got your library card, my love?" she asked her daughter. Diana pulled hers out, and then Andie did the same, and both presented them to Rachel.
PM
^
Rachel Hyde
 Posted: Aug 8 2018, 12:37 PM
Stranger
Kate

Rachel grinned, staying quiet as Andie expressed her opinion over the Riodan books. "No need to apologise, ranting just means you're passionate about something. And it's nice to see that there are still people passionate about books. I'd hate to see more libraries closing down" she shrugged, well that would mean she'd be out of a job as well so that really wouldn't be a good thing. But she felt there would always be a place for libraries, as long as people still wanted to pick up a book rather than reading it in an electronic form.

Diana agreed to letting Rachel help her find a copy of Charlie and the Charlie Factory, so within seconds Rachel was wandering to the shelf where she knew the copies were kept. Thankfully there were still two copies available so she passed the book to Diana, "You'll have to let me know what you think" she smiled, she'd be interested to hear her opinion once she'd read it.

And just like that it seemed Rachel had two new friends. It was never usually this easy for her to make friends so she was quite surprised with herself, "Thank you... yes... yes... that would be excellent. I'll um.. text you in advance or something so we can arrange a time" she smiled, she couldn't quite believe she'd even agreed to this but there was something about the two of them that had made her feel comfortable.

The library cards were scanned and the books were now checked out, "There you go... all yours. Enjoy your books and I guess I'll see you both tomorrow?" she smiled at the two of them, feeling like she really was starting to fit in around town now.

--------------------
PM
^
Andie Walker
 Posted: Aug 10 2018, 04:05 PM
Townie
Shade

Andie frowned about libraries closing down. It was a true shame. She loved social media and all that good stuff, as it helped her business, but the internet and smart phones had really placed books on the short road to obscurity.

"It is a true shame," she said. "That's why I want Diana here to appreciate her local library, and reading in general. One reason I'm glad I run a comics shop. I always bring her home some of the more kid-friendly comics."

"My favorite is the Superhero Girls one," said Diana. "I get so happy when Mommy gets those in."

"I like them too," grinned Andie.

Diana smiled and hugged the book Rachel gave her,

"I can't wait!" she said. "And I know I'll love it and I'll tell you."

Andie nodded about the advanced text and making arrangement.

"That works for me," she said. "We can also work out what to make. I'm all for doing dinner and dessert."

"I help with dessert!" said Rachel.

When it was time to part, Andie and Rachel both gave big smiles and waves.

"We look forward to seeing you then,"
said Andie.

"Have a nice day," said Diana before she followed her mother out of the library.

(Lovely thread. Thank you.)
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll