February 2018 Featured RPG
May 2018 Featured RPG

PLOT & RULES FAQ | MEMBER GROUPS | GETTING STARTED | REGISTRATION
Lochland AM/FM Radio is on the air
Have you heard the latest? Click Here

Traffic on Route 10? Wet Fireworks? Problems for the Charity Ball? Have you listened to Lochland AM Radio lately?

Missed the last broadcast?
Lochland AM Radio 1
Lochland AM Radio 2
106.3 The Bounce
Weather Warning

Welcome to Lochland Grove
Open since January 2, 2014

We are a Real Life Roleplay site focused on enriching character driven stories through events, newspaper headlines, and even death. Set in modern day Connecticut, our background plot follows the on-goings of a small town with a murderous past. Whether your character explores it is up to you. Life is about choice - this is your story. Our goal is to provide a place where you will feel comfortable writing it. Come join the fun!

Have you read the Newspaper?
You can read it Here

Preparations for the 5th Annual Charity Ball are almost finished. The newly renovated Red Vines Winery is excited to host, opening not only its doors on the 11th but its newly created winelist.

The 2018 Pride Parade is the 30th. Whether you are part of the LGBTQ or an Ally, wear your rainbow and come out to support the community.

CLAIMS | ADOPTABLES | CREDITS | ADVERTISING | AFFILIATION

Site News

July 8th
The Activity Check is over!

July 7th
The 5th Annual Charity Ball and

The Bachelor Auction!!

July 3rd
Lochland AM is on the Air!

Chatbox

Staff

Admin

Kat

Head Mod

Mods

Add Reply
New Poll

This crazy town, Tag: William Locke
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Apr 14 2018, 08:15 PM
Townie
Jaya

Monday at work. It was easier to work her schedule before she had a little girl to take care of. Lainey’s 2nd birthday was fast approaching and Seraphim had plans. She had made sure to have the day of and the day before off work, and she was going to take Lainey to an ice-skating rink. It was when Grant had started teaching his daughter to skate, and although Seraphim couldn’t remember the events, she had pictures and stories to inform her. She’d looked into it as soon as she got back into skating and had been waiting for the occasion. She’d have preferred Lainey’s father to be there, but he was working. Her second least favorite thing about his job was the schedule.

It was out of her hands. Just like him working over the weekend. Well she worked that weekend too. So it was a Monday, but she’d been working through the weekend. She hadn’t had a day off since the 6th. She’d managed to stop by the store and do her regular errands, but it was always inconvenient over the weekend. She had to ask a friend to babysit. She would have considered asking Kiefer, but that seemed like added pressure for the time being. So she paid the neighbor boy and he learned that babysitting for a full waitressing shift was not a good way to spend a Saturday or a Sunday, but by now he probably knew that. It was unfortunate that the day care was not open on weekends. Almost as unfortunate as not having someone who could just be at home with her daughter.

It was days like that which caused Sera to consider quitting her job, but she would definitely go crazy without it.

She worked today until 4. That was enough time to clock out, get in her car and get Lainey without being late. Then they would take care of the rest. She’d started work at 8. Hardly had time to get Lainey to day care when it opened and come in on time. She needed to get her schedule in order. The one saving grace to this was that she did in fact really love her job. She loved it even when a child spilled milk all over the floor, and when a tourist argued with her about whether or not she could make an item off the menu. Only slowing down to correct to “if the cook can. Actually if he can’t, why don’t you?” It was more surprising than legitimately upsetting, but Sera was calm. The lunch rush was a daily occurrence, and after that it wouldn’t get busy for dinner time before she was gone. She would be fine.

She did notice Will when he arrived, and was pleased that she was on shift when he came in. She doubted he’d come in before now for all the times she was working.

--------------------
Ianthe StuartTeagan LandryUriah SuttonFrankie NazarroSabrina HarrisonSeraphim DrakeBlake Gutierrez
Tracker - Heterosexual - Waitress at Gertie's - Apartment
PM
^
William Locke
 Posted: Apr 14 2018, 10:31 PM
Stranger
Imp

Will was exstatic that this place was more like your conventional, classic diner.

He hadn't been back from India for more than perhaps a day or two. His flight in was long, and, perhaps it was being quiet and in his head that made it even longer. However, there was one thought that seemed to keep him sane throughout the entire torturous long ordeal, and that was being reunited with his dog again. Of all things in the world, it seemed that while he was out in the world, the one thing he missed most about home was Damien. Maybe it was because he hadn't really spent all that much time without him since he had begun raising him as a pup. But there was something that ultimately felt like it was missing, and he was sure that it was that.

Damien brought a few other things into mind. Naturually, he didn't need all that much help in thinking about Aleks, but Damien reminded Will of Waylen and the time that he had met the boy in the cafe. He was reminded of the semi-dinner (definitely not a date) that he had set with him and his mother. He was going to cook for them, something he hadn't done in months, what with the packing and the moving and all of the mess that happened just before he quit his job. It was almost like he was making a new start here. What was he going to make for them again?

Ah, yes. Chicken Carbonara. And he had a thought to maybe teach little Waylen how to make an Alfredo sauce. It was simple enough. And it would give the boy something sweet to make for his mother as a surprise someday after a hard day of work.

And then there was something else that had entered his mind. A little girl that had enjoyed Damien as well. What was her name again? Her mother's name was Seraphim. That name is hard to forget. But it was something that started with an L. Lizzy?

He would remember it eventually. But what had really caught his mind was something that Seraphim had spoken of: The fact that she had worked at a diner. Mind you, Will was a fan of Indian food. Biriyani, buttered chicken, dry chili chicken, mutton in just about any way you could think, it was great, and a flavor that you couldn't compare unless you had tried it yourself. But there was just something that hit Will's stomach, and indeed sent a flutter in Will's heart as he pulled up to that classic diner. Gertie's, it had been called.

Once inside, Will found a booth and sat down, idly flipping his cup in the saucer and pulled a menu from behind the little cart that held the sugar and the jelly and the ketchup. As the smell of eggs, bacon, and coffee filled his senses, Will leaned his head back a moment, inhaling deep to take it all in. He had to admit, India was a nice place, and he would love to go again. But there was just something about home. And, where a Tavern might be pleasant in the evenings after a hard day at work, it was diners like this that helped to jump start Will's day.

His eyes flicked through the breakfast portion. He, personally, had felt that diners were made for breakfast at all times of the day. As hungry as he was, he knew that he should take it easy. The first few days back on an American diet were sure to make you sick if you just immediately jumped into greasy foods. And so, even thought he felt the need for a skillet of some time, he decided that two eggs, some hashbrowns, a few slices of bacon... some toast. He would get coffee, but he might even induldge in some orange juice.

Besides, now that he had that fat paycheck weighing down his bank account yet again, he had some money to splurge. Now, he would just have to find out where the super market was.
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 04:18 PM
Townie
Jaya

The diner was on the older side, and Lochland Grove wasn’t a big town. It had grown substantially since the arrival of the flood victims, but Gertie’s was very well established before that. Sera had even had her job before then. Some people found it a bit cramped and inconvenient, but most people enjoyed it. Enough locals and tourists that it was a pretty lucrative job all things considered. She could have found something with a salary that had reliable hours but… she loved her job.

Sera liked the atmosphere, the co-workers, her boss, the customers, and the food. Her current favorite was a caramel flavored pie, and apparently that made her think of her ex in the most inconvenient of ways. He still came in. All the cops came in. And she treated him as one would treat someone with that much history. She didn’t treat him much like a customer, but he always got good service. No better than others. It had been his attempt to get her to indulge in her established taste in caramel that even got her to start trying he caramel more often. When she got back into exercising it became important to maintain a good diet. Not because she was going to gain weight, but because she was going to get sick if she was doing sprints on nothing but fast food and pasta. Of course getting pregnant had been the biggest change, but her daughter was barely breastfeeding anymore so Sera’s diet really didn’t impact her daughter so much anymore.

It was still good food though. Whether or not Will had fallen in Sera’s portion of the diner, she was going to be his waitress. She made sure that she could. Why tell a man where she worked if she was just going to not wait on him? Not that she had any kind of thing for him, but that was just how people were, right? Come to her work only to not see her? No, that was silly.

Seraphim, nametag pinned to her chest, notebook in her apron, hair back in a high pony tail, stepped over to the table. Her smile was of course genuine, but she wasn’t going to act overly familiar. She was just happy he’d actually stopped in. She was friendly, it happened. “Good day… you found your way to the diner I see.

--------------------
Ianthe StuartTeagan LandryUriah SuttonFrankie NazarroSabrina HarrisonSeraphim DrakeBlake Gutierrez
PM
^
William Locke
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 05:08 PM
Stranger
Imp

Will's eyes took a moment to raise from his menu before he engaged the person that had come to his table. And there she was. The woman that he had met while running in the park. He was suddenly sure that Damien was going to go insane when he got home. On top of bacon and eggs, Damien was bound to catch hints of this woman and remember the little girl.

What was her name? The little girl? He shook the question off. He'd get it eventually.

"Well hello!" Will exclaimed. He closed the menu and folded his hands on top of it. His eyes fell on hers first, and he met her smile with his own. He hadn't noticed those brown eyes before. Dark, but beautiful. "Mrs. Seraphim, was it?" His eyes slid down to her name tag and he laughed at himself. "I suppose I could have just looked at your name tag. But honestly, your name is very hard to forget. I was wondering if you would be in today. It's a pleasant surprise to see you are."

He took a look around and smiled. "This seems like a great place. Great atmosphere, it feels like a "Mom and Pop" shop, which is something most places like IHOP and Denny's tries to be but fail's horribly. I must say, I'm bound to become a frequenter."

"So tell me," Will looked back to Seraphim. "How are you and yours? Forgive me, I seem to have forgotten the name of your little one. Her adorableness was too much to place with a name."
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Apr 17 2018, 06:51 PM
Townie
Jaya

Poor Damien would simply have to endure the evidence of his master’s betrayal. Lunch and socializing with the mother of a child? Without him? For shame. Seraphim would have found it amusing if she had considered that, but she definitely didn’t know Will or his dog well enough to come to that conclusion.

Mrs. Seraphim. Sera chuckled. “Well not Mrs. But… half right,” she informed him with a grin. He said it was a pleasant surprise that she was here today, and that her name was hard to forget. “Well that’s one of the perks of being an angel I suppose.” Not that she thought that she was an angel, but… it went with the name. She had her flaws, more so than any angel, but she liked her name all the same. “I don’t think I’ve had a day off since I last saw you though, so its less surprising than you might think. Still I’m glad I was here when you managed to come in.

Will praised the business atmosphere, and said he was bound to come back more often, still she had a smile, “Great. You’ll definitely be making some friends then, especially if you like to hear about how ‘green’ you are, local history, and the logging business.” She’d seen in more than a couple of times. If he wanted some small town culture, he could find it in the diner.

Next he asked for a reminder of Lainey’s name. “Lainey. I’d give you something to help you remember it but… I suppose I don’t know any references. I just thought it was cute.” She liked talking, and work was her element, but she shouldn’t neglect the work part, “Do you know what you want to drink?

--------------------
PM
^
William Locke
 Posted: Apr 20 2018, 10:43 PM
Stranger
Imp

To be honest, Will wasn't all too surprised to hear about this woman's schedule. She had the "Hard working mom," air about her. What's more, there was not one bit of protest when it came to taking her daughter out for a nice day in the park on her day off. So many times, Will had responded to scenes of neglect for children; father's worked to the bone, mother's chilling on brown. And a little five year old girl sitting in the middle of the room play with her toys. So oblivious to the neglect and danger because it was the norm of the house.

Maybe it didn't say much about hard work. But when Will thought about the amount of parents that use their hard working schedules as an excuse to ignore their duties as a parent...

Will had never been a father. But it's not so hard to see that parents are supposed to be working hard so that their children live a better life than they did. Besides, maybe most of that grudge was more about his own parents. The bastards they were.

He couldn't help but let slip a whistle in respect. "All that and a daughter on top." He laughed. "Well, at least I know that there is a high chance that I will have at least one friendly face around here when I come back. And also, from what I've heard of the past of this town, I wouldn't think that being "green" is all that much of an oddity. What with the flood and all." He shrugged. "In any case, being new somewhere doesn't bother me much. I'm still very much in the heart of adventure. Everyone around here has already seen it all."

"Ah, yes," Will said, looking back down at his menu. "Wouldn't want to hold you up." He closed the menu again, not even sure why he had bothered to look at it. "Coffee would be fine for now, thank you." He smiled back up at her.

"Say," Will said, leaning back and scratching the back of his neck. "You having your break soon? If so, you can invade my booth."
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Apr 21 2018, 10:15 PM
Townie
Jaya

Seraphim had never lived in a neglectful home. She couldn’t tell stories or explain the situation, but she had no ill effects from her childhood. Her apartment was not the best, despite the money burning a hole in her bank account. It was vastly improved from the years of a mattress on the floor and paying everything in cash to avoid legal paperwork. With or without health finances, there was no way Sera would do less than the best for Lainey. She had nothing in life that motivated her more than what was best for her daughter.

Seraphim knew some parents were awful. Her daughter’s grandfather was certainly a piece of work. If she remembered correctly, he didn’t like her because she was “Gaijin?” She was pretty sure that was the word he used to ever so lovingly refer to Sera. She had no desire for him to ever come in contact with Lainey, and she wasn’t even sure he wanted to. She didn’t know.

She laughed when he whistled. All that and a daughter on top. “Well she fits nicely on my shoulders so…” she joked. Yes. Everything, and also being a mother. For someone who didn’t schedule much for herself, she found it easy to fill all of her hours. It could be lonely, at night alone with her mind, but she did what she felt was best.

Will mentioned the flood victims. “All those flood victims,” she chuckled. She’d moved in less than a year before that happened, “Well its been four years, so they’re not really green anymore. You’re right though, its less odd.” Being new didn’t bother him, which was good for settling in. Coffee. She wrote it down. She would take any special instructions on the coffee, but she went off to get it without stalling. She headed to the break room for a minute to grab something and then returned with his coffee after checking in with other tables.

I can probably take a break after I get your food order put in. Here is your coffee.” She placed it on the table for him and then put a little pin on the table. It was from the Logging company and said Lochland Grove with some pine trees. “I thought you could use something for your new home, so that is for you.

--------------------
PM
^
William Locke
 Posted: Apr 22 2018, 07:12 PM
Stranger
Imp

When she left, Will leaned back a moment and took in a deep breath. The smell of the diner was what made waking up early in the morning worth it. Hell, there had been quite enough times where Will found himself working an all-nighter, and the only place that he felt would be the best place to take a break and regroup was a place just like this. All he would need was some eggs and some coffee to get him over that little period of exhaustion and kick over into insomnia.

With a sigh he looked out the window beside him where he saw a conversation happening: A man approached another man that had just stepped out of his car. They embraced before holding each other at arms length and looking each other over in earnest. After the moment seemed confirmed between them, they separated and started, he assumed, catching up with each other.

Will was broken from the scene as a cup of coffee was placed on his table. The pin was next, something that Will immediately took into his hands and turned curiously while listening to Seraphim explain the gift. He realized, suddenly, that if he was in possession of this pin, it might make him seem a bit more like a resident than he did. "Thank you, Seraphim," Will said looking back up to her. "I'm sure this will help me with some of the populace. Will honestly didn't mind being the new person. However, it could circumnavigate some of the awkwardness that could arrive in a conversation.

"Well then let's get this food order in so we can let you sit down for a bit." Will said. He reached over to where the menu's were and opened it, quickly finding exactly what he wanted. "Could I please have two scrambled eggs with bacon and hashbrowns? White toast. And actually, a glass of orange juice with the meal." He gave the menu another look over and then closed it, smiling up at Seraphim. "That should be it!"
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Apr 23 2018, 11:42 PM
Townie
Jaya

The diner was a familiar place to Sera. There had been some bad moments within its falls, but most were outstandingly positive. She could remember talks with Cam in the break room, but those thoughts did not ambush her often. Instead she felt relaxed. So many things had changed for Sera over the years, but Gertie’s managed to remain very constant. Some employees came and went, but for Sera it was the same. All that had changed was how she received her wages, and she replaced her old “Sarah” nametag once upon a time.

The pin was less of a disguise for Will’s newness, more just a token of his new location. A trinket. He thanked her and said that it would help him with some of the populace. She smiled. “Sure. Most people are more interested in the murders than the logging but… it’s a mixture among the locals. They love what gives the town lifeblood, but there are some who aren’t exactly murder fanboys…. Then there’s the floods… ” she waved her hand dismissively, “it’s a complex ecosystem.

It was agreed that Will’s order ought to be put in quickly. Scrambled eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, white toast, and also orange juice. Seraphim wrote down the necessary information. “Sounds like a good meal. I will be right back then.” She headed to the kitchen and let them know she would be taking a break. Someone would come flag her down or bring the food when it was done. She refilled a couple more glasses and clocked for her break before coming back to Will. She sat across from him.

So… is Gertie’s everything you hoped it would be?

--------------------
PM
^
William Locke
 Posted: May 4 2018, 08:56 PM
Stranger
Imp

There was a general grim tone that rang out from Seraphim's statement about murder fanboys; perhaps one that she hadn't intended. Will had caught hints and whispers of "Murders of the past", but hadn't the slightest idea what had actually happened. Perhaps that was for the best. But to be honest, it frustrated him to no end to think about the fact that he had moved away from Boston to a place that was apparently well known for a string of murders, despite Will's complete gamble at picking this place. It only seemed to egg him on, poke and laugh at him. Perhaps it was a fate that he couldn't escape. Perhaps death was the only thing for which he was suited.

And what's more, he hated the itching feeling he felt when he heard of them: the pull to investigate, the need to inquire. It was the scent of blood, the shot of jack left undrank on the bar, the last hit of a joint. He had been a junkie. But he had promised himself that he wouldn't relapse.

But there was more; a sort of disgust with the idea of "Murder Fanboys." He was no stranger to the idea of Copy Cat Murders: killing sprees designed to mimic the same crimes as the criminal's personal idol. It was sickening to think about all the people out there that flocked to sites like this to simply bathe in the misfortune of someone else.

I mean, think about it. Everyone knows that death is inescapable. It happens to everyone, anyone, sometimes random, sometimes planned. But in the end, without condition or discrimination, everyone was bound for death. With this in mind, most people would want to feel that, even if their death was inescapable, that they had a chance to fight it, or at least pick the terms and thereby grow more comfortable with it... right? A cancer patient would undergo treatment for the sake of random chance, and that odd hope that things might get better. An alcoholic or drug addict could fight their addiction, especially after something like an overdose, or that bad accident while driving under the influence. The list could go on and on.

But imagine for a moment that you don't have that chance or a choice. That some man, for the sake of amusement, picked you at random, like Will chose Lochland, and decided for you that you were going to die. Maybe he would rape you. Maybe he would torture you. Nevertheless, as you drove home from a long day at work, or as you walked home from a tough day at school -perhaps you were thinking about what you might have for dinner, or how you were going to reach your deadline, or that cute boy or girl you met today- not once did the thought come to mind that you were prey. And there is not one thing you can do about it.

Will had dealt with this. And more than once. He knew of graphic materials on the internet that people would use to get off on things like this. He knew of groups of people that would cheer for murderers. But he wondered if there would ever be a man that would become so brutal, so dangerous, that would make these people realize that they were merely sheep to the slaughter. Or that they were feeding the demise of others.

It was a touchy subject. As it should be.

Will let slip the slightest look of distraction during his thoughts, but snapped back with a smile as the kind woman returned and sat before him. With her presence, he could feel the dreariness of his recent thoughts wash off of him and down the drain. Perhaps it was her passion for the shop. Maybe it was just the distraction from the grim reality that Will had just thought of. But his smile was genuine as she continued their conversation.

He sighed in thought at first; an arm come up from the table and draped on the back of the booth that he sat in. His eyes went out the window to the scenery, and then back into the diner, where they scanned all of the walls, still yellowed from years of morning cigarettes. His eyes lowered under the bar counter, where he found dirt and debris that would never be parted from the soft rubber tracking, no matter how many times the area was swept and mopped. He thought of the men that might have sat at the bar, raising a finger to get Seraphim's attention, only to receive a knowing nod before she entered the persons usual order. He thought of the families that might have come in for good food on the cheap. He thought of the teachers that brought their quizzes and tests to grade, and the students that gathered here to study or after football games. In the grand scheme of it, he had to chuckle as he realized that his opinion of this place was but a grain in the sands of time and love that this diner had earned.

"It is." He said as his eyes returned to Sera. "But to be honest, a diner is hard to disappoint. As long as it is not IHOP or Denny's or some other chain, it's already acceptable at best. Ah, but the true test is the food." He looked to the kitchen, and just as he did so, he could see a bit of steam raise into view, and the cook laboring. The smell of cooking potatoes and bacon soon reached his nose. "And by the smell of it, this place is sure to be a home run."

His eyes came back to Seraphim. "What about you?" He said, tilting his head slightly. "Is this place everything you had hoped?"
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: May 4 2018, 10:53 PM
Townie
Jaya

Did death suit anyone? Perhaps. Being a whirlwind of chaos suited some people, but Sera liked to think better. She liked to think that the darkness didn’t suit anyone, no matter how long they wore it around them. Magnetic attraction did not mean you were fated to stay somewhere. You could fight the pull. You could get away and find your own peace. Sera had to feel that way because she knew what she’d left. Knew what she’d broken out of and the lengths that she must have gone to, to keep her head clear. She didn’t think much of the murder fanboys. Some were creepy, but most were just young, not thinking anything of it. They treated it like a game. A foreign concept. They had not known anyone who had died. Or they had and this was how they coped. Treating it like an interesting concept, not a painful loss. It was not her place to judge, and if she had nothing positive to say, she wasn’t going to say much.

Sera knew her fair share of uncomfortable, downright debilitating feelings. Dealing with cancer, with death, being prey, even being stalked. She knew what it felt like to be targeted, and to not know if she had done something to deserve her fate. She knew that she hadn’t done anything. There was no karma. You could hope for the best, and you could fear the worst, but you could not beat random chance. A person could take that mentality and run scared, anxious that every step might be off a cliff, every turn might be the wrong one. Or you could simply do good, enjoy what you could control, and not worry about what could not be changed. Sera quite preferred enjoying her life to worrying if she could help it.

The current conversation was far more pleasant than thinking anything dark and dreary. Sera loved her job. Loved this place. She could all but literally sing its praises. She didn’t really sing though, unless it was for her daughter. He apparently did not like chains. Sera chuckled, “Well lucky for you, Lochland doesn’t have chains. And I bet the locals would pitch quite the fit if someone tried to bring one in. Even more so than the fight between ‘Plum Avenue’ and ‘Plum Street.’” She hadn’t been here for the change, but she still heard about it once a month at least.

And what about her. Was this place everything she hoped? “Sure. I had no expectations for Lochland but… Gertie’s… it was a job. It paid the bills. And if you treat people nicely and do your job, they reward you with tips. Being paid to give people a good experience is enough to make a girl like me happy. Even without the tips though…” she taped her fingers along the table for a moment, “I’m usually happier here than not, so it’s a good job.

--------------------
PM
^
William Locke
 Posted: May 18 2018, 10:54 AM
Stranger
Imp

"I had noticed that there weren't any chains around here," Will said, his gaze turning back out the window. His eyes landed on a squirrel as it hopped across the street before scrambling up a tree. He suddenly realized that his attention span seemed to be getting a lot shorter. "I will admit that I place a lot more stock in private owned establishments. Private businesses are a lot more desperate to keep in business when the chains roll in. But that only keeps the private owned businesses more honest and genuine. Chain's are just more of the same. They have to be."

He stopped for a moment, his eyes returned to Sera. "Wait a moment, what about 'Java Star'. I met the owner not so long ago, and I believe she said that was a chain now. Though, I suppose that this case might not quite count. For all I know, and I admit I know very little, this chain could be the first one opened."

He shrugged. "Either way, its good to have good food. But, all the same, sometimes it was nice to have that quick $4 double cheeseburger from McDonalds. Not for the quality, mind you. You are paying $4 for a reason."

He couldn't help but smile softly at the woman's love for the place. A thought reached the back of Will's mind: a woman as dedicated and caring as this could have had so many opportunities. Hell, she probably would have made a great nurse or doctor. However, despite having another mouth to feed, she chose to stay in this place. It was enough to make Will take another look around, to make him admire it a lot more. Some might consider such decisions as foolish or even short sighted. But Will saw loyalty and dedication. And as he brought his eyes back down to the woman before him, he saw a woman that invested 110% in something, and never took it back. Her daughter was lucky indeed.

"I sure hope I find a job around here, that pulls my affections like this one does to you." His head tilted. "It seems to suit you. Right down to your bones."

"SO!" he exclaimed, sharply changing the subject. "Tell me. What do you think is your favorite thing about this town?"
PM
^
Seraphim Drake
 Posted: Jun 2 2018, 01:07 PM
Townie
Jaya

Mmm.

Will mentioned private owned business being desperate when chains began to roll in. sera wasn’t sure about that, but it seemed logical enough. She didn’t want to see it in action though. She liked all the locally owned businesses in town, and she felt that it was more than just the owners of said businesses that would be upset about chains. The locals themselves really felt strongly about local culture. They did not mind newcomers, but more often than not they were trying to bring people into the fold, not adapt to change. Too many people at once changed things. They didn’t like that. She wasn’t too worried about it herself, but she supposed it made sense. They really loved their culture, so they wanted to share it but not lose it. Chains were American in many ways, but not local at all.

Will came back with a different comment though. The Java Star. Seraphim had never been inside. She supposed it looked quite professional from the outside though, and she remembered when it opened up. The owner might have been a flood victim due to the timing, but Sera mostly remembered the new apartment complex coming in around that time. “Hm… I’m not sure. I don’t drink coffee so… I’ve never been. I guess its possible, if by chain we’re talking… two to four businesses? Like I said, I’m not familiar with the Java Star, but if the owner of the store is the… founder, that’s probably going to feel different to people. If its just a franchise, that’s less personal. But I’ve never heard of Java Star anywhere else, so maybe its pretty small. People can certainly try to open up their businesses around here, but if its just some business trying to plant their brand here, I still think people won’t take to it. Times change though.” She didn’t think it would go over well, but… with all the new people and the new atmosphere, maybe it was an outdated way of thinking.

Seraphim shrugged at the idea of being able to get a cheap burger on the fly. “There’s reasonably fast food in town, if you know where to get it. Some food carts I think… if you’re around the right time and place.” Personally with her strange memories, she couldn’t ever remember going to McDonalds. She might never have been though, because it just seemed like the sort of thing her parents would not have appreciated. Then again… maybe in college. Regardless, “In the end, sometimes its nice not to have to work at things, but most of the time we have to anyway.” It wasn’t a statement of values and moral caliber, it was a burger. The easy way was not always best, but some people liked that, sure.

Maybe one day Seraphim would move on. One day, assumedly she would retire, if she never got another job. She didn’t need it, but some day she would need her time more than she needed to be here. Maybe if she’d gotten married and had more kids, she would just stay home with them. Maybe she would work part time so that she still had that balance. There was no way to tell, and she didn’t need to spend her energy speculating. Maybe someday she’d buy the place.

Will said it suited her, right down to her bones. She laughed,”Thank you. I hope that makes me a good waitress.” he asked next about her favorite part about the town. “Oh… the people. And if I had to go beyond that… the pace. The people love it here, I mean, overall. You had teenagers wanting to run off, and people who feel stuck but… mostly they really care. And its kind of its own world… we’re so far from other towns and… you’re really here. So that’s my favorite. What do you like thus far?

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll